Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Have I Finally Arrived?


Believe it or not, I have been fighting the text message thing for many years now but yesterday I finally gave in and Verizon got me.

A few months ago I called Verizon and asked them to please remove the two land lines in my home. I hadn't used the home phone in probably 2 years, (at least). The only calls we'd ever receive on the home line was from the School. They have our cell phone numbers now. I had been paying for unlimited calls for probably 4 years and quite frankly I started feeling pretty stupid for paying Verizon extra money for lines we just weren't using.

Yesterday we were driving past Verizon and my Wife mentioned she'd like a new phone. She doesn't use hers a whole lot but considering hers was about 5 years old, it was time to get her an upgrade. We have a plan where we have four cell phones but only mine had text messaging and because I'm so cheap, even my cell phone was limited to 250 text messages a month. My plan also had 3,000 minutes on it and I'd find myself going over those minutes fairly often.

While we were in the store I was able to show them a problem with my phone that happened once in a while and for the heck of it they dialed my phone and low and behold the problem I mentioned happened right then and there. Man, talk about LUCK!

It was at the point they said, this is not good and you too qualify for a new phone, because of this technical issue. So there we were getting new phones, all state-of-the-art. They looked at my plan and said to my Wife, would you like text messaging too. She smiled and said, yes, that would be nice. They then explained they had a new unlimited plan for calls and text messages and believe it or not it would save me at least $100.00 a month if I joined this new plan.

Now let's see, a savings of at least $100.00 a month, unlimited calls and unlimited pictures and text messages, I'm all about that deal. So we switched plans and jumped at the opportunity.

I guess it's OK for you to send me back the response I HATE. Someone would text me something like, will you be coming to a particular meeting. I'd reply, I'll be there at 6 PM. Then they'd reply, OK. I HATE THAT! With 250 messages a month, why the hell would you reply, "OK"?

So I guess you might say that Verizon has now lowered my blood pressure, saved me a few bucks and I can even hold my head high knowing my Wife can now text her friends without looking like a cheapskate, (all my fault, of course). Oh, you can now text me "OK" and you won't get a nasty message back from me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If you are at the point to sign a new 2 year contract, an AT&T iPhone may be an option to consider. I switched from Verizon because AT&T was offering the previous generation (3GS) "refurbished" phone for only $149 each. I bought two and switched.

Anonymous said...

1) Welcome to 2003!
2) Verizon doesn't have the IPhone yet, so you posted an accurate pic.

Anonymous said...

At&t's billing is higher than Verizon on avg. What phone did you get? Is it a Droid?

Anonymous said...

If they had a tower close enough I would do the same. Nanticoke has no reception.