Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, June 14, 2010

A Letter To The Editor

My name is Michelle Davis. I purchased a 2009 Ford Focus from Preston Ford on June 11, 2009 (a year ago this Friday).

I have had nothing but trouble with this car with no end in sight, it just keeps getting worse.

When the car was delivered to me I noticed rust on the steering column as well as under the hood and on the inside of the door as well as two very strange marks on the passenger doors. Preston Ford's response to this was that it was normal considering that we live on the eastern shore.

They told me to make an appt for the detailing since they did not have time to do the detailing before they delivered the vehicle plus my free tank of gas, so I did. When I got there I waited for two hours and then they informed me that I would have to come back when they were not so busy. I had an appt. I'm sorry, (they said) I asked if I could have a loaner since they offer this to there customers. I was told, not for this issue. I was upset but made an appt for the following week. Guess what this time, they said they were running behind schedule. I said look, I'm entitled to a loaner. I'm sorry we do not have one available.

I asked to speak to Dave Jr., he's not available but we'll take a message for him and get him to call you back. Several/a lot of messages later, no contact. So I decided to take the car to their other Ford Dealership in Pittsville, they seemed to be a lot nicer. By this time the vehicle was due for an oil change, (which they did) plus the car was starting to have problems mechanically. It had funny sounds coming from it also it felt like it was always being driven in neutral . They did the oil change but came back and told me they could not duplicate these concerns I was having at this time. Sometimes the problem has to get worse before it can get better. I could not believe what Iwas hearing. I heard those same words years ago from a GM Dealership.

I asked if they could handle the detailing at least that was due to me via a signed document from the Preston group. I'm sorry, you will have to take it to Preston since the car was not purchased here. I decided I would just pay for the detailing myself and send a bill to Preston.

During this time my temp tags was one day away from expiring I contacted the tag dept and was told the lady that handles this was gone so guess what, they finally put Dave Jr on the phone. He said he was sorry about what happened but he would get the lady to handle the tag situation when she returned. By then it would be to late. I told him I was going to MVA to purchase my Chesapeake tags that I had already paid Preston for, I would send him the bill as well as the bill for the detailing and the tank of gas that was due to me. He said that was fine.

The next day guess what, I received tags in the mail. I called up and the lady that was gone was back and told me that I would have to return my tags and use the ones they sent and I would not be getting any money back. I contacted Niel Murrey the salesman and he said if I contact the dealership or come to any of there other dealerships I would be arrested. I said for what, he said harassment.

I finally got reimbursement from Preston for the tags and the detailing and gas. I was done with this place contacted Ford. They said to take my car to Sherwood. At first they seemed way to nice to be true. I was right. They changed my oil rotated the tires. When I left, the car started feeling rough and bumpy the rpm gage was staying between 2-3, normal is under 1 and a loud metal grinding sound when I would accelerate.

I took it back in 4 days later at Sherwood. I was told all my tires were overinflated 7 pounds each, causing the tires to feather and told me I would have to pay to get new tires. I said, you were the ones who over inflated the tires. So Kevin Sheffield the service manager told me they would replace them under my warranty, all 4 tires and align the vehicle as for the grinding sound they replaces a part in the front axle. I waited, (it seemed way to quick for them to have done all of this in such a short time) when I went to get into my vehicle as well as my mother, we both noticed the same gravel from my moms driveway in the vehicle. The tires looked the same, they did not have that new look or new smell tires always have.

I asked Paul Stewart service advisor if they replaced all the tires. He responded, yes mam all 4 tires are new. I asked if I could have paperwork for my records, he brought out Kevin Sheffield. Kevin said he would give me the paperwork when I received a survey in the mail. Bring it in with everything checked out satisfactory and he would personally mail it in.

I never received a survey. I called back 10 days later. The lady answered the phone and told me he would mail the paperwork for the tires to me. Finally after month of waiting my mother finally got the paperwork slammed at her. One paper they tried to keep but my mother grabbed it back and stated they only put two tires on the car and this paper is dated a day after they supposedly put the tires on.

I made an appt because the car was still having problems. I was told by Paul Stewart at Sherwood they could not duplicate the concerns at this time (this line must be something they are trained to say). He told me that the problems are all in my head and I need to learn how to drive a ford (I'm 34. I've been driving for 18 years and have perfect driving record also correct me if I'm wrong is there a special driving course on how to drive a Ford).

I contacted Ford corporate office and they finally, (after months of me complaining and taking the vehicle back to Sherwood) agreed to send a service rep down to look at the car and test drive it with me. The day I was going to this appt my chocolate lab coco collapsed and before the vet opened for me to take her there she passed away. I was heartbroken very very upset but I still went out to the dealership, tears in tow. I said to Kevin I need to walk this off, how long before the rep needs me to go riding with him. He said at least 30 minutes, so I walked the lot and came back about 10-15 minutes later and went into the waiting room.

Kevin came in later and told me that the service rep would be in shortly. Then Kevin comes back in and says the rep has found that my oil needs to be changed, its never been changed here. He said, take a look at my paperwork again and look at the sticker on the windshield. He had a puzzled look on his face. Also, he added my engine is dirty and needed to be cleaned, which I would have to pay for but keep in mind this may and probably won't solve your concerns. I asked where is the service rep, I was supposed to go on ride with him in the vehicle. He's gone, Kevin replied and shrugged his shoulder.

I was very upset to say the least. Every body in that service dept had a very scared look on there faces. I contacted Ford and they said I should have rode with him. Kevin told Ford I refused to ride with him. Kevin finally admitted to my brother that he had no intentions of letting me speak nor ride with the Ford rep. He said the rep's name was Darryl Huff. When I contacted Ford they claim there is nobody in there employee records by that name. I'm starting to think there was no rep that came down.

Shortly before the car was taken in for this rep to look at I was delivering an arrangement to put on my fathers grave site at Parsons. When I was en route there the car would not go went I accelerated so I went to push down again the it zoomed real fast. I pushed on the brakes causing the arrangement to fly up cutting my forehead causing stitches and now a scar. Thank God, it could have been worse.

Now guess what, one of the tires has blown. Luckily I must have known something about driving a Ford to avoid being in an accident.

I get a letter stating that they will pull off the parts to my car and test them then if it goes to trial they will keep the parts till after trial, then if nothing is found wrong or they win in court I will have to pay to have the car repaired.

This car is still very much in warranty. I'm still fighting to get Ford to buy back this lemon. My mom contacted Bruce Rogers, he won't call back. She finally got hold of Mike Burto last Friday and he said that he would address this matter Monday. He would get in very early in the morning, he hasn't returned any of the messages.

I honestly can't take this anymore. I rented a car for a while but I can't afford to make car payments and rent a car too. I feel something really bad is going to happen if I keep driving the car. Everybody is hiding whats wrong with car it obviously can't be fixed. I think Sherwood is hoping I will die so they are in the clear. I have a cleaning business so I can't walk with my mops and brooms cleaners etc, so I have no choice but to drive this car.

If anybody can please help, contact me at 410-749-2123 or email me at echostar2@verizon.net

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check the MD "Lemon" law. If the car cannot be repaired after three tries you are ENTITLED UNDER LAW to a new vehicle, or $ equal to the value of the car. Consult an attorney. And then when you win your suit, require Preston to pay for your attorney's fees also.

Anonymous said...

I bought a vehicle seven years ago from Preston Ford and I never did get some of the "perks" they promised - even down to a clean car when I bought it. They said they did not have time to wash it (brand new vehicle) so I should take it on my own to have it washed and send them the receipt. Is that anyway to run a car dealership especially when I was paying over $35,000 for the vehicle. Oh, I did get my Frog but that really does not pay for the price of a car wash!

Artle Lange said...

i would contact an attorney immediately. I've heard many horror stories about preston and sherwood ford. There are lemon laws on the books for this particular reason. Many attorneys will take this case and no fee unless you win. Dont give up. Dave Jr is not half the man his daddy is.

Anonymous said...

I've had LOTS of problems with Sherwood-- service manager lied to me, etc.
Will NEVER go back there for anything.

Anonymous said...

You bought the car at Preston. Stop pushing off your "problems" on Sherwood. It's that simple.

Anonymous said...

FORD - Fixed Or Repaired Daily
FORD - Found On Road Dead


Preston - S.U.C.K

Car Salesman - L.I.A.R.S

I think that covers it

Anonymous said...

jherritt@lemonlaw.com
lwolk@lemonlaw.com

This is who I contacted about a year ago on a brand new vehicle. I was very pleased. My vehicle was purchased back and all the money I put down on the vehicle was given back to me including tax and tags. I didn't pay a penny in lawyer fees, they did.

Keep all your receipts. Write down everything. Email them and they will contact you.

Anonymous said...

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Forms/lemon.pdf

Download this form from the state and follow the instructions. I don't know if they will actually do anything but the manufacturer will be notified and that might motivate them to do something more. Good Luck and let us know what happened.

Robin Quivers said...

Contact an attorney. I would also write a letter to Ford. They may not keep records of your phone calls. I would cc all parties involeved in your letter to Ford.

TechnoBeaver said...

All it takes is just one very dissatisifed customer to cost a dealership a lot of business. They should go out of their way to make sure every customer receives the best they can possibly provide even if it means they have to eat some of their profit.

Michelle said...

I had the same problem when I purchased a '03 Nissan from Millsboro Auto mart which is a division of Preston. Always gave an excuse for why my tags weren't in, said they called when they didn't, said there was nothing wrong with the car, said i could trade it in instead of them buying back the POS. I will NEVER do business with them again. Besides that, I'll stick with a chevy, I haven't had any problems with a chevy and neither have many other of my family members.

Anonymous said...

We're in the market for a new car. Thanks for the heads up.

lmclain said...

sounds like they sher-would like to lose your business....thats their commercial, right?

Anonymous said...

I have bought from Boulevard Ford in Georgetown. Excellant sales people & service was great also.

Anonymous said...

Just because someone writes a letter to a blog doesn't make it true.
There is alot more to this story. Some people simply cannot be made happy, and this is one of them.

Anonymous said...

i cant beleive you left preston without tags. the last 3 vehicles i bought, a truck, a jeep, and a motorcycle, all had hard tags when i left the dealer. unless your out of state its standard nowadays.

Anonymous said...

Everybody has good and bad stories about almost all businesses. My family and I have purchased over a dozen vehicles from Preston Ford, in Preston. We have often used the service dept at Sherwood. We have had no problems with either and have found them always pleasant and pleasing. I did use the lemon law on a ford about 8 years ago. Preston's service dept suggested that I use the lemon law on the vehicle I purchased from them. My problem with the vehicle lasted for 20 months. I ordered a new vehicle and am still driving that vehicle with no problems at all! You mentioned you have a cleaning business, if you bought the vehicle under your corporation, the lemon law doesn't appy. (at least 8 years ago it didn't)! It's a shame you had so many problems with several different organizations. cj

Anonymous said...

Before I went to an attorney, I would try one more thing. This is something I did years ago at Millsboro Ford after buying a brand new van from them and the first 6 months it sat in their shop more than it did in my driveway.
Skip right over any service manager or anyone else and DEMAND to speak to the GENERAL MGR! Once I did that, he saw that my van was fixed and fixed right that day! Never had another problem. My complaint was it sounded like the body was coming apart from the frame but they kept telling me they couldn't hear it. Guess what, they put a drive shaft in the van at 4,000 miles and I never had another problem!
I would do this first. Go ahead and write your letter to Ford and have it with you. Tell him/her that this letter goes out immediately unless you get satisfaction.
Second thing, DON'T SETTLE! Don't let them get away with ONE thing! Make them fix it ALL - ONE visit!!

Anonymous said...

I was lied to treated very badly after buying a vehicle from Preston and will never even buy a part from Preston. I trusted them and they got me once, only once.

Anonymous said...

Should have bought a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, or Mazda from Pohanka! Sandy is the best!
MM

Anonymous said...

Sherwood doesn't care about you once you buy the vehicle. Preston is the same way. Frederick Ford is a good place to buy a ford. I bought a Mazda from Pohanka and a Ford from Frederick. They are the best. Service is still great after you purchase from Pohanka and Frederick.

Anonymous said...

Mechanics get paid by the rate posted in the rate book the Service Mgr uses to price work..warranty work pays almost nothing...so mechanics as a rule would rather be doing other work..that pays...
Service Mgrs will not tell you this..but it is the truth

all that money Preston throws into ads...cannot change what you've documented here..they are losing massive prospective business

Anonymous said...

11:16 - Let's hear the rest of the story.

I had bought a POS from Sherwood. I had many problems. Should have been a warning sign when I almost walked out on the sales person. On of my most memorable experiences service department experiences was my car alarm going off every 10 minutes at work. I called them to report the problem. They said they would be unable to get it in that day. I said ok I'm bringing it to your car lot and let you guys deal with the alarm. I said I want a loaner. Let's just say that it was fixed within no time.

Anonymous said...

my one and only dealings with preston, i was trading in an expedition back in oct of 09. it was a 2008 limited el had every option available dvd nav pwr running boards ect. I told the sales man I owed about $47k it was bought new for $54k. I only had it a year was trying to save on payments. he flat out told me i was too upside down to be able to trade into anything and i was stuck with it. never appraised it, never asked for credit info, hell I could have been a 800 score. they never checked!! (at the time i was a salesman elsewhere lol) so...i ended up going to a couple other dealerships and everyone else tried to help, just couldnt get me a payment i wanted to be at. then i went to frederick ford. not only did they give me more for my truck, they lowered the price of thiers and had everything wrapped up for me with no money out of my pocket!fought with the banks and got my payment $200 a month less. Preston truly sucks, and for the writer of this, pittsville ford is also preston too...they should have been able to help! Sherwood is ok...ive only delt with them a few time.

Anonymous said...

Keep buying those cars from the big dealerships and you will soon learn, they ALL care nothing about YOU. It's all about selling the car and once they've done that,they've made their money. You come back, you cost them money. That's the attitude nowadays.
In the past, I've bought from Pohanka Honda, Pohanka Toyota, Courtesy Chevrolet, Price Buick/Pontiac/GMC and Saturn of Salisbury.
The BEST experiences I had with sales AND service, were at Saturn of Salisbury, but they're now gone!
All the others? Too many problems and I'd never shop any of them again. If I have to buy used somewhere else in the future, I wll. If I want to buy new again, it won't be from any of these!

Anonymous said...

I bought a truck from Millsboro Auto-mart about a year ago, after almost walking out on the sales men "stan the man" 3 times, he finally got the price (& his attitude) where i wanted it, and settled on it for what i thought was a good price, the first night i bring the truck home it over heated in a parking lot! and has been nothing but problems since, they also lied about my tags not being in & i had to drive someone elses vehicle because my tags expired before they could give me mine. i love the truck and think i would have still bought one, most likely from pohanka but will NEVER buy anything from preston again, they've been horrible through this whole process.

Anonymous said...

I have not had any experience with Preston, but i have had great experience with Sherwood in the service department. As a woman, it is intimidating to go to these kind of places and being worried I will be taken advantage of. But at Sherwood, the service dept guy, Paul, explained everything and why it needed to be fixed etc. I felt very secure in dealing with them and would go back anytime I had an issue with my car.

Anonymous said...

I know Michelle and her mom. They are VERY hard working women. I saw her 10 minutes after her tire episode and saw Grant there fixing it. They were very shook up ladies and actually are being much nicer than I would be and people call me a nice lady. I like to think I am, but I surely would not let anyone treat me like they have been treated by this car dealer. Thank God, we have 2 Chrysler Town and Country's and it is a honey. Hope I have not jinxed myself.

Anonymous said...

9:08 are you an idiot?! Why would she continue to go to PReston when they LIED and SOLD her a LEMON. She only THEN went to SHERWOOD hoping for TRUTH. SAME TREATMENT.
I am in the market for a car and now I thank this woman for this info because I WON'T be going to either of these places.

Anonymous said...

Annapolis Volvo right over the bay bridge and visible from 50. Negotiated the price I was willing to pay via email and they had all the paperwork completed, car detailed, gas tank filled, new plates put on it.... I was literally out of there in 15 minutes and never had to bother haggling face to face with a bossy salesman

Anonymous said...

9:08
Try reading what she wrote. When she contacted Ford, FORD told her to take it to Sherwood.

I have delt with both the service departments at Sherwood and Pittsville. They seem to mess up more than they do fix things. We have bought our last 2 vehicles at Frederick Ford and have had no problems.

Anonymous said...

We went to Sheehy Ford across the bridge and just off the beltway for our new van 2 years ago and they were awesome!! They really treat folks right!!! and I have lived here forever~~~

Anonymous said...

My husband and I bought a truck from them years ago and had the same trouble. Our engine blew and they tried to say we hadn't done maintenance properly. When the mechanics place he broke down in front of in Easton said it was a piston that pretty much shot through the engine & was covered in the warranty. We fought them for 3 months, no calls back, vm's everytime, you name it. Finally my husband went to a lawyer and he called them. Our truck was fixed within 2 weeks. They new what they did wrong and didn't want the bad press. We will never buy another vehicle from there and have told everyone as well not too. I would suggest you do the same.

Anonymous said...

Hey , Maybe they should buy something other than F O R D .

Anonymous said...

Attorney Garrett Sheller in Salisbury has experience handling lemon law cases. I prior post is correct - if you qualify for relief under the lemon law, the manufacturer pays your attorney fees.

Anonymous said...

stay away from sherwoods service dept. if i told my complete horror story with them, it would be twice as long as this womans post. they suck!

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with Sherwood several years ago. Bruce Rogers is a liar. No different than any used car salesman. Pittsville motors used to be the only place to get good service after the sale. No More. Since Preston took over all you get is lip service. There is one instance where a salesman actually tacked on a $3000 additional charge after the paperwork was signed. Since you sign a power of atty. for them to do the paperwork at MVA, they put a lien on the vehicle when the owner refused to pay the additional charge. You almost have to take a lawyer with you. Interestingly enough, Frederick Ford is no better. I'm still waiting for an owners manual from Frederick Ford for a used Mustang I bought 3 years ago. The salesman promised I would get it and I figured since it seemed like a small item it would be no big deal. I guess since it was not in writing the felt they didn't have to honor the promise. What ever happened to a man's word and a handshake?

Anonymous said...

First off it sounds like to me Preston Ford did a great job with a bad situation for Mrs Davis. First off if the car was a lemon ford would have bought it back no question asked.Its sound like to me Mrs Davis got the run around from sherwood service department and Dave Wilson Jr went to bat for Mrs Davis and bought here car back to ease her mind about its saftey.thats how honest dealerships are supose to run . Hats off to Preston Ford...