Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, March 01, 2010

Extended Jobless Benefits Start Ending


NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Depending on extended unemployment benefits to see you through the Great Recession?

You'd better not: The Senate failed to push back the Feb. 28 deadline to apply for this safety net.

Starting Monday, the jobless will no longer be able to apply for federal unemployment benefits or the COBRA health insurance subsidy.

Federal unemployment benefits kick in after the basic state-funded 26 weeks of coverage expire. During the downturn, Congress has approved up to an additional 73 weeks, which it funds.

These federal benefit weeks are divided into tiers, and the jobless must apply each time they move into a new tier.

GO HERE to read more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To the Senate & Congress:

I am so sorry I can not bend over any further to be sc****d. My unemployment hopefully will start on May 1st, if I have not found a full time job. I was hoping for the cobra subsidy as well, because I will start making cobra payments at that time. I have sent out so many resumes it is crazy. I even bought a resume maker program to help formulate the proper resume. There are plenty of part-time jobs, but they don't pay your mortage and utility bills.