Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, January 03, 2010

What To Do If You Are Not SURE That It’s the Police

Reading Joe Albero’s earlier post regarding the young lady who was stopped by someone impersonating a law enforcement officer reminded me of a conversation I had with Wicomico State’s Attorney Davis Ruark a couple of years ago.  While we were discussing something totally unrelated to someone impersonating an officer, the legal principle is the same.

According to Ruark, if you are being pulled over by a law enforcement officer you have a right to pull over in a safe area.  Don’t try to run.  Instead, stay within the speed limit.  Putting on your emergency flashers might not be a bad idea.  However, you can continue driving until you find some place where you feel safe to pull over; perhaps a store that is open or the home of someone you know.

Obviously, 99 times out of 100 this will be a real police officer.  Calmly and courteously explain that you were apprehensive and that you wanted to pull over in an area with other people around.  Even if the officer chooses to charge you with an additional offense, you will be able to be acquitted in court.

My personal experience with Maryland State Police, Wicomico County Sheriff’s Deputies, and Fruitland Police (no disrespect to the Salisbury Police, I have just never been pulled over by someone in the SPD) has been that they are courteous and trying to serve and protect the public.  I believe that they would be understanding if you explain your anxieties.

REGARDLESS – Better safe than sorry.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I would indeed much rather state my case in court as to why I kept driving to a safe-or at least public-place.

Mardela said...

Get pulled over much? haha

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha,
maryland state p[olice will write you a ticket for it! they are idiots who aren't allowed to think. they just write the tickets to generate revenue for the state and leave it up to the judge to dimiss! Ever seen one actually out of their car doing investigative work?
LMAO!

Anonymous said...

Another suggestion is if an unmarked vehicle is attempting to pull you over and you feel unsafe, proceed as suggested above but call 911 or the police department from your cell phone for confermation of the authority of the vehical behind you and always always get the plate number!

Anonymous said...

last time I was pulled by the SPD, the officer yelled at me and told me to stop as soon as his lights went on.I was at a stop sign when he turned on his lights and I went to pull up away from the intersection as not to block it.

Anonymous said...

"officer yelled at me". Well, yell back. What's the worst that can happen. Force them to arrest you (for???). My opinion, the city, or state has no emotion (anger) to convey. In other words, write me the damn ticket, but I'm not interested in a lecture. Officer, your job discription does not include arrogance.

Anonymous said...

I'm a grandmother and didn't pull over quickly enough, and had a 9mm point blank in my face. It was ten years ago...seems like yesterday. My crime was having dinner with friends. Undercover cops thought I laughed too much and reported me as a DRUNK....I don't DRINK!

Anonymous said...

Also remember if you dial #77 on your cell phone that gets the state police.

Giovanni Jones said...

As an officer in one of the small local agencies, if I attempt to pull you over in a dark area, and you put your flashers on, and drive slowly to a public area, and then pull over immediately, and calmly explain your reason for doing so - I will probably be very understanding of your choice to do so. If the officer conducting your traffic stop is not professional, then notify his/her department immediately.
Don't do this out of spite just because you are mad at getting pulled over. Only do it if he/she is the one that is acting like an ass. Most departments are now using dash cameras, and if you have a legitimate complaint (or there is a history of complaints), then some action will probably be taken against that officer.

Mandy L said...

2:51 - hopefully you never have to opportunity to be glad that MSP are not just "idiots that are not allowed to think", perhaps while you are being rescued from some situation.

To everyone that seems to think that the police officer pulling you over is just being an ass when he (or she) takes things a bit seriously - do you realize what kind of situations that an officer needs to prepare for EVERY TIME they pull over someone? Next time you get stopped (and you can avoid being stopped by driving the way you are supposed to) think about what must be going through the officer's mind instead of being so pissed that you may be getting a ticket. How many of you have a job that puts your life at risk every day?

Certainly, pull over in a safe area, and argue your case in court if it comes to that, but don't fault the police for being overly cautious. It might be obvious to YOU what you are doing, but not necessarily to everyone else.

Anonymous said...

6:46~Miserable people cannot stand naturally happy people.

Anonymous said...

These comments are a boat load of crap. The police should have flashing lights and sirens. They do not yell out the window to stop!
By the way , the MD state police write tickets to people who break the law 2:51. You will be going to jail with your attitude.

ajohnson said...

maybe it would be good for local law enforcement to be on local news to tell people what they would like for them to do.exp.turn on flasher,call 911,wait til they are in a secure area. too many crazy things going on in the world today so people are always on the edge.

Anonymous said...

Stats at SPD, Gotta get em! Dont pull over, get more tickets. Yell at me and get arrested for disorderly. SPD can lie to get more charges. I can name a few cops there who love to lie!

Anonymous said...

This has happened to me.an officer tried to pull me over on Rt. 50 at night. I was by myself and didn't feel comfortable, so I put my blinker on to turn into a lighted service station and motioned with my hand out the window that I acknowledged him and was turning. He flashed his headlights to me and followed me. He was very nice and professional about it when i explained how uncomfortable I was to stop on the highway. There are some good understanding officers out there. Yes I got a warning.