Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Meet Harry


Last night my Wife and I stopped by a friends house who adopted two kittens from us about a year ago. While we were talking, a very interesting topic came up and my Wife never ceases to amaze me.

We were talking about how sociable cats have become over time. Jennifer mentioned how so many of the less sociable cats ultimately get put down, euthanized. While there are millions upon millions of cats that end up at local Humane Society's and rescue centers, usually when people go in to view them they fall for the quiet and more laid back, I want to be held and loved cats.

What this means is, as time goes on, the more frisky and aggressive cats are being deleted from our population and the tame/quiet/loving ones have now taken over.

A few weeks ago we adopted two kittens from the Wicomico Humane Society, (Harry, above) is one of them. Now I was never really much of a cat person but I have to tell you, these guys are an absolute blast! They're destroying my Office and every single piece of organized paper is now spread all over the place daily but what the heck, they're worth the 5 minutes per day to rearrange. I try to outsmart them by figuring ways they can't do it again but I seem to fail at this as they just want to constantly play.

Pretty soon my Office will consist of a desk with absolutely nothing on it but a mouse, keyboard and monitor. So if I seem lost in some articles, it's because I can't find my notes. Nevertheless, visit your local Humane Society and get some of these pain in the A$$E$. They're easy to care for and very inexpensive to feed. In the end, one thing is for sure. The cats today are far more friendly and sociable than the ones I remember growing up.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Joe, as pussy on your desk, but a dog on your screen!

Anonymous said...

You've given them the purrfect playroom!

Anonymous said...

I have had many cats is my life. Some from the Humane Society and some who have been dropped off at my house, as well as three I found abandoned on the side of the road. They each one had their own unique personality. When they want to be loved they will let you know and you best stop what your doing and pay attention. When you are trying to read a book or on the cumputer they will be right there to "help" you. I have always been a cat lover.

Anonymous said...

I adopted a cat from the local Humane Society almost ten years ago and it has been a rewarding experience. At first, he was destroying things around the house but after he settled in and felt comfortable and safe, he really did calm down. The vet said he was Abused before coming to the shelter so I understand why he had a difficult time settling it. Any one who abuses any animal should be thrown in the slammer!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful kitten. I have five cats at the present time, all have been rescued off the side of the road or thrown out. I have 3 spayed so far and the kittens are getting old enough for them to be neutered. Does anyone know of a reasonable place to spay/neuter? I go through my regular vet, but with all the drop offs, it does get expensive. Last I heard it could cost anywheres from $280.00 to $350.00 to get a dog spayed. No wonder people can't afford that and then there are those doctors I wouldn't trust with my animals.

joealbero said...

Call the Humane Society and have them do it.

Anonymous said...

Wait until they pee in your work shoes in the middle of the night and you don't realize it until you are ready to walk out the door in the morning. I am not sure if that compares with the unconditional love you feel every time you scoop out the dry toilet you have to add to your household for them, but it's close.

joealbero said...

We have 3 enclosed litter boxes throughout the house so this is not a problem. As long as you maintain them properly, (which is no big deal at all) you shouldn't have such a problem.

Your house must stink though!

Anonymous said...

Awww. What a cutie. I adopted both my cat and dog from the Humane Society. I adopted the cat first (Jack aka Jack on Crack). Once he was old enough I went back to the Humane Society and adopted my dog, Sadie. Jack and Sadie are soooo much fun to watch. Jack has this crazy personality. Sadie runs Jack through the house and then Jack runs Sadie through the house. Their names really should be Garfield and Odie. I am so glad I adopted them from there. Before I got Jack, I adopted a kitten from the pet store in the Twilley Center. She ended up being sick and died on Thanksgiving Day a few years ago. I'm just grateful to the Humane Society to be able to know that I can adopt animals that are healthy, happy and full of life. Enjoy your new babies. Also, can you keep us posted on the Humane Society and their budget. I know they had a lot of cuts recently. If they ever need donations for anything, food, old towels, money, anything, please let us know.

Bob said...

I hated cats for most of my life. My wife and I rescued some (at her....request?) that someone left at a rental - a mother and 7 new born. We?.....decided to keep them all until they were old enough to take to the H/S and be separated from their mother. That was 4 years ago. I guess they still haven't gotten old enough yet. Anyway, they are part of the family now and I've never complained (much) about the money it costed to have them spayed/neutered, shots, etc. I am definitely a different person than I was when I was younger.

10001110101 said...

I have a couple of outside cats that come around to eat and then go about their business. Although they prefer the outside, they still come sit with me when I garden and love up against my legs.
One has been here for 16 years. She is tenacious and has the loudest purr.

Anonymous said...

Cats are the perfect companion, especially for senior citizens. My grandmother never wanted a cat, then she moved into a retirement home due to her lack of mobility and inablity to maintain her total independence. She seemed so lonely and I lived so far away. One day a few years ago I surprised her with a kitten, food, litter box and various toys, and she has been thrilled ever since. Her entire demeanor has totally changed and she seems a lot happier now!

Anonymous said...

If anyone is looking for a kitten, I still have 6 I am trying to find homes for. (I am trying not to burden the humane society. They have so many as it is.) Please call 410-873-2347
All frisky and adorable. They all love dogs. They curl up with my lab/shepard mix everynight.

Anonymous said...

We just adopted 2 kittens from Talbot Humane and my 2 little girls love them..Those kittens just take the tough love my 3 and 2yr old dish out. Their names are Thelma and Louise and they are a lot of fun for the whole family. Please help support your local Humane society!!