Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, July 17, 2009

"Captain Jim" Whittemore Has Passed Away


Jim Whittemore was an outstanding cameraman and floor manager at WTTG/Channel 5 and WBAL/Channel 11 in the 1970s and then moved to Ocean City to pursue his dream... a radio career. He was best known as "Captain Jim" - the sidekick to Hitman McKay on WKHI/Ocean City in the late '80s and early '90s. Jim was also heard on WRXS, WTGM, WJDY, and WKHZ. Jim called the Delmarva Shorebird games for quite some time, and was also the stadium announcer at Delmarva Downs. He also had an unsuccessful mayoral bid in Ocean City in the late '80s"

Jim also did the SU Football games on WICO and was a HUGE voice for the Optimist Club. I worked side by side with Jim in the Press Box at the Shorebirds Games as well as Radio Shows on WICO. He was a fantastic man, loved by all.

R.I.P. my Friend.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked with Captain Jim briefly as a WTGM intern in the late 90's. Class act all around. R.I.P.

Anonymous said...

Jim was a great man. I looked around and haven't seen a word of this anywhere else. Thanks for keeping us informed Joe. I can always trust you'll have the local news before anyone else.

Anonymous said...

I heard it on the radio this morning (960 AM) and was surprised by the news.

He used to broadcast high school basketball games as well. That's how I first met him. You knew it was always a big game if he was in the house during the regular season, and would see him come playoff time as well.

I wish local stations still did that! He will surely be missed.

Anonymous said...

Rest in Peace Capt Jim. Prayers to his family and loved ones.

Anonymous said...

He and Bill Reddish, who was his broadcast partner on WICO for the SU foorball games, did a great job over the years.

Anonymous said...

I worked with Capt Jim at the Gold Coast Mall. Jim left his mark in many arena's on the shore. Rest in peace Capt.

Anonymous said...

I got to know Capt.Jim at WTGM..I would listen for the Delaware High School scores.One morning in frustration Capt.Jim asked if anyone had scores from Delaware please call him as he got most of his Delaware scores from the News Journal.I later founded out that the store he would stop to on his way to the station stopped carrying that paper.One day I answered his call for help.It got to be fun for me as I subscribed to the News Journal at the time and the Delaware State News which has more down state teams.So from that 1st call to Capt.Jim I never missed a day giving my friend the scores and highlights from Delaware.I remember on one call I told him "If your Capt.Jim then I'm Corporal Cliff" and would you know the next morning he said on air that he was waiting on Corp.Cliff for the scores from Delaware.Capt.Jim was the most giving,caring person you would come across.And for the people who never had the pleasure of meeting him..well what can I said? but your lost.Thanks for the chance to say something about my friend Capt.Jim I Will Miss Him

MDSurfer said...

So sorry to hear of Jim's passing. We are all better for having known him. Condolences to his entire family.