Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Court House Fools

By: Chelsea Reid
A Salisbury University Student


Recently I was called as a witness for the State in a case against a Salisbury University student. The student was arrested for destruction of property out side a student housing area, and I was asked to testify on the States behalf. This account is not of the trial. It is of the appalling behavior of the people I saw in the courthouse that day.

Now I may be only 21 years old, but I consider myself an old fashioned kind of girl. I was taught to be respectful of officers of the law, considerate of others feelings, polite to strangers, and to respect the court of law. My Mother always taught me to look presentable when going to court, and to dress as one would when for an occasion where nice clothing is expected. So when I got out of my dance class that morning and went home to change, I made sure what I was wearing was nice. I ironed my dress, cleaned my shoes so there would not be any scuffs on them, took a shower, made sure my nails were clean, make-up was tasteful, and hair appropriate, and I arrived 15 minutes early to court (I was expected to be there at 1pm) to make sure I could check in with plenty of time to speak to the State’s Attorney about the case I was speaking on, as I was not aware of court procedure.

When I walked in I went through security. Now I knew based on what my Mother told me and the numerous signs posted throughout the grounds that cell phones were not allowed in the building for security reasons. But for some reason, many of the citizens on Salisbury fail to notice or care about this, and when asked to leave their phones in their car, make a fuss and cause a scene. The security folks at the courthouse were some of the nicest people I had ever met, and through speaking with them for the brief moment I could, I learned that the people they see were not as pleasant as they said I was to deal with. They curse, yell, scream, and threaten to have them fired. All because they are merely doing their jobs and the citizens coming to the court house that day (for a variety of reasons I learned that day) cannot be bother to follow the rules. I noticed that those treating the workers at the courthouse in this appalling manner were typically there that day for breaking the law as well, and those who followed the rules and were polite, decent human beings were there as I was, duty their civic duty.

After this, I went to check in with the State’s Attorney, and sat down to wait for the courtroom doors to open. This is when my love of people watching came in to play. I was taught over the years to never judge a book by their cover, but with the way some of these people presented themselves in a court of law meant that they were either a diamond in the rough, or that the old adage I had been taught was not necessarily true. I saw torn and tattered jeans, or pants that were either too tight of too loose. If it was a male, they were sometimes hanging so low I could see their boxers, which is a look I never understood to begin with. If the person I observed was a female, they were typically so tight, they would not fit to their body properly. I saw women in dresses one would wear to a club out dancing, not to a court of law. Denim mini skirts, sneakers, tank tops, and stained clothing were all in abundance.

Few people I saw that I knew through overhearing them speak were there for breaking the law, were dressed for the occasion. The ones that were, were their for either speeding tickets or in the case of someone I knew personally, something they knew they had to chance of getting out of, and were doing the best they could to make their case seem better. I saw the person whom I was testifying against, and he was dressed very nicely in a well-fitted, freshly pressed suit.

I encountered many police officers in my time their, and when I approached one (their for an unrelated case involving a traffic incident I learned) to ask a few questions as to what I should expect during my time that day, he was polite and as courteous as one would expect any person to be. I wish I had his name remembered, as he was a wonderful person. When I asked him if the people coming in each day for hearings are always rude and obnoxious like they were today, he said that sadly yes they are.

Our conversation turned to University student life when I told him I was an SU student. I learned that the bed reputation they have earned amongst students is mostly untrue and unfair, and I would have to agree.

I live in a house right outside Cynthia Place, a notoriously college student filled area. Weekend nights are typically the worse of them all, but on any given night, I would see property destroyed and trash left about for the neighbors who are not college students, or in my case that are but have a sense of respect for others, to clean up each morning. I have seen street signs taken down and tossed about, couches set on fire, trashcans overturned, beer bottles broken in the street, and private property damaged.

Now what I see does not involve all SU students, let me make that as clear as possible. It is a select few, typically boys I have observed, who do this. At it is usually the same few week after week. They make loud noises well in to the wee hours of the morning, and sometimes I am amazed that the police are not called sooner for the borderline riots I have seen occur, with over a hundred people in a small area. I sit on my back porch watching the madness occur as police enter the area, and a mass exodus occurs, people throwing bottles on the ground and breaking them, yelling profanities at the police, and in general making the officers jobs harder then they should be.

This officer, once he realized where I lived and that he knew my roommates and I and thanked us for cooperating with them when they ask us questions and in general being pleasant people to deal with. We have never given them trouble, and never intend to, and I can not understand why any does.

My conversation with this officer was a pleasant as any I would have with a close friend, and I wish him the best in his career. I only wished he wouldn’t have to deal with the things he was dealing with in regards to my fellow students did not occur.

I notice in my encounters with locals in Salisbury and in reading comments on the Salisbury News Blog, that many locals lump us all in together with the few I mentioned above who actually cause the trouble and this saddens me. Many like me are here to earn a good education at a fine school. I admit I go out to drink. But I am part of the group of people who don’t go to or throw wild parties that cause damage to the surrounding neighborhood, and annoy the people living nearby who want nothing to do with it. I have learned to have fun while respecting others and respecting the law as well. Many of us manage to make it through college with out a noise violation, an underage drinking citation (whether by sheer luck or by not being obnoxious about it), not having to go to court for destroying property, and not making a bad name for the school we are attending.

My entire time in the Salisbury City Court House was enlightening. I learned that not all of us were taught to present themselves nicely in court, to respect officers and court employees who are only doing their job, and to follow and respect the law in general. I also learned that those that were, either follow that advice to lead a happy life, or ignore it and have to deal with the consequences.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, said, Ms. Reid. The parents who claim you as their daughter are blessed and very fortunate. I see nothing but success for you based on your 'testimony'. May God serve as the lamp for your feet and the light for your path. Good luck in your future.

Anonymous said...

Miss Reid needs another English class.

Anonymous said...

I know where she is coming from. The few times that I have been in the courtroom, either as a winess or involved in a custody situation, was so disgusting. I could not believe how the people were dressed to stand in front of the Judges! I felt like I was in the "low life" crowd of Salisbury. The security guards were always very friendly and understanding! I too heard people complaining about not being able to bring their cell phones into the building.

Anonymous said...

9:17 you need a glass of "shut the hell up" (to paraphrase Happy Gilmore). 80% of current adults - and I assume you are an adult - cannot compose something like this lady did without causing one to double over in laughter with inane composition and the general slandering of the King's English. What are you contributing to in today's society?

Anonymous said...

Hey 9:17 I saw you at the Court HOuse. YOu were the one wearing the pretty bracelets that connected.
Ms. Reid is expressing her observations and she seems wise beyond her years. Her mother taught her well and shows us in Salisbury that there are a few SU students that are here to learn and not cuase problems.
One thing that SU students need to know is we are not a town that will allow them to take over. We are Not West Chester, PA or York PA. We will remain Salisbury MD in CONTROL of our town. YEA JIM IRETON

Anonymous said...

9:33, while 9:17 was not the kindest, your reply made me laugh. You mean, general "slaughtering" of the King's English, perhaps?

Anyway, Ms. Reid's composition flaws aside, her post is appreciated, and I hope more SU students will make their voices heard in a positive way.

One civics lesson, though. Ms. Reid, there is no "City Courthouse." The courthouse, while in Salisbury, is the County Courthouse. Salisbury is the County Seat. (First letter caps for emphasis.) In that building is the Circuit Court for Wicomico County.

The building down the street is the District Court Building which houses that court and a number of state offices.

You are perfectly right, young lady. While it may be annoying to have to walk back to a car to leave the phone (more of a problem for those who took a bus or taxi, which is often the case), the cell phone rule is all over, not just in Salisbury, and there's no need to take it out on the people just doing their job.

Anonymous said...

9:33, Maybe there's 80% of current adults that didn't pass High School. This is a college student who doesn't know "there" from "their".
Even I know that without having gone to college.
I do, however share her disappointment with the courthouse patrons.

Anonymous said...

Miss Reid, until your University starts dropping the hammer on the bad students, you and good students like you -- your whole school -- will continue to have a bad reputation. My son attends a school where the kids are kids, but the neighbors don't put up with any of this nonsense because the school officials simply won't have it.

Anonymous said...

Are these the writing skills taught at Salisbury University? Dr. Waverly Gibson would be so disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Reid is a responsible student of which there are very few. My work requires that I rent property to these students and have found responsible and respectful young people to be a minority. I believe that parents choose NOT to take the time to teach there children basic manners and how to become a responsible citizen. I fear for our futures as these young people continue their self obsorbed lives.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I got about 2 sentences into that poorly written blabberfest. Maybe you should transfer to UMES, it seems more suited for you.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone had the chance to see the movie Planet of the Apes. It is almost prophecy. I know who the girl is speaking of, you know who the girl is speaking, and no one wants to say it.

It is a blog site. Not an english critque chat room. For those grammitcally correct book worms there is a chat room called Conjunction Junction whats your function. LOL

Anonymous said...

Joe - Why did you post 11:36 AM? You are a piece of work. You do not have the good sense or the decency to recognize the subject of Ms Reid's letter. IMO she deserves a lot of credit for stating her observations. So what if she messed up a few words. Lord knows she cannot slaughter the English laungage anymore than you do. I do not imagine you will be hearing from her again. Why not promote how to properly dress for Court. You have certainly been there enough to know

Anonymous said...

Ms. Reid, you got your point across. I agree, that place is a madhouse at times. I showed up as a witness one day at Juvenile Count. That place is crazy. Even the parents show up (if they show at all) in jeans and t-shirts. People just don't care about how others see them.

Anonymous said...

blah blah blah what a tool. It is people's right to wear whatever clothes they want. Also, it is peoples rights to have a cell phone - it is merely a power trip that you cant bring them into a court house. Let me ask you this - did the state's attorney have his cell phone? you're damn right he did. That's called a double standard. I'm tired of being treated like a criminal when I'm NOT. The reason parties at salisbury get so big is because the police bust so many of them so regularly that there arent many choices of where to go.

Now thing change over the year but ever since webby got here 4 or 5 years ago the cops have been running out of control. Of course this is happening all over the country as populations grow and the state becomes larger and more a part of your life. Imo it is sick and your petty arguments about other peoples attitudes and the clothes htey wear and just their life styles in general betrays your true judgmental and holier than thou attitude. You need to check yourself and realize you're not better than the people you criticize. You are 21 but you have not learned some very adult lessons.

Anonymous said...

11:36am, UMES? Yeah, of all the normal colleges in the U.S., I would put UMES number 1 on my list. The list of colleges I would never attend.

Anonymous said...

Wow... to everyone writing such asinine comments: my Mother always taught me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all..."

Anonymous said...

Some people are so ignorant - and I'm not talking about Ms. Reid.

Anonymous said...

Not that it matters, I suppose, but a number of the people that go to court rely on cabs or the commuter buses, so it's not as simple as leaving a cell phone in the car. And, as a parent, I wouldn't want my kids to not be able to reach me if they needed something in an emergency- so I wouldn't want to leave my cell phone at home. The commuter routes take forever to get anywhere now. Not to mention, one could be in court all day waiting for their case to be called.
And, while I agree that people tend to dress inappropriately for court, many people wear what they have. I've been in court rooms where the clothing on some of the women has been so ill-fitting that you can see half of their crack, plus an extensive bit of muffin top, and excess cleavage to boot. I could tolerate someone in a denim mini-skirt, I think.

Anonymous said...

Amazing. This young lady writes a interesting article and some of y'all slam her for spelling and grammar.

Those that did should only wish you had the self respect as this young lady that's wise beyond her years.

I got it! you're jealous.

Topper said...

That is the type of young lady that parents would be proud to call their daughter in-law

Anonymous said...

"I admit I go out to drink. But I am part of the group of people..."

That's part of our problem (and your problem). Drinking is seen as acceptable to students. It's not. And tolerance for illegal drinking is the root cause of the reason you were in court.

I went through four years of college with nary a drink, and my grades and subsequent success reflect that specific choice that I made. And before you dismiss me as a social "no life", let me point out that sex is much better when sober...(and there was no shortage of that).

Bottom line: Excessive drinking stinks.

Chelsea Reid said...

Terribly sorry to insult many of you with my bad grammer. I am dyslexic, and if this has offended some of you, then you have my most sincere apologies. I did the best I could with the brain I have, and if that if not good enough for you, I am sorry. I tried the best I could with this and I was hoping there would be those who would appreciate hearing another veiw of Salisbury, specifically a student's view.

10:33am , thank you for the correction. I have noted that and in the future I will see to the mistake is not made again. As I am not from Salisbury (I am just a humble citizen of St. Mary's County), I did not know what the proper term for the courthouse in Salisbury was, and I thank you for telling me, with all sincerity. It is encouraging to know that some one in this world can correct me with out insulting me, and I thank you for that.

To all other who left comments that did not critize me on something I cannot help sometimes, I thank you for that as well. I hope to continue writing blogs on my observations, if Mr. Albero will allow it, and I look forward to your comments in the future.

Anonymous said...

some of you people are morons. this girl took the time to write a long, heartfelt letter, and all you can do is make fun of what are probably only typos. Miss Reid, thank you for your comments. and as a local police officer who has to deal with the people you mention in court and the few college students that give the rest a bad name, i thank you for reminding us that there are young adult students that were raised properly with respect and manners. when we see mostly the bad in people day to day, we do need reminders from time to time that not all are like that.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Reid, trust me, you have nothing to apologize for. thanks for your participation in this blogsite and sharing your perspective with us. We appreciate your sincerity.

Chimera said...

I thought I was the only one who noticed the way some people show up in court LOL.
Heres another funny observation.....the last time I observed court I noticed a large amount of rent court cases where subsidized tenants who only paid $50 to $100 a month being sued for owing as much as a grand-WTF?

Chimera said...

I thought I was the only one who noticed the way some people show up in court LOL.It IS a big deal,it insulting and disrespectful to the court to NOT be dressed properly.You do not have to be in sunday best or Dolce&Gabbana-just don't show alot of skin or cleavage,and comb your hair.
Heres another funny observation.....the last time I observed court I noticed a large amount of rent court cases where subsidized tenants who only paid $50 to $100 a month being sued for owing as much as a grand-WTF?

Anonymous said...

4:47...
So shame on every legal adult who drinks alcohol (the girl is 21 by the way), but promiscuity is cool?

Lighten up and have a beer man.

Rob S

Anonymous said...

Joe:

If this articulate and observant young lady will remain in Salisbury much longer, you should encourage her to become a contributor to SBYnews, especially for insight from the perspective of someone who has come here to attend SU or begin life as a post-grad.

Her comments on the City government -- especially the recent mayoral election would be of great interest to the rest of us.

Moon Willow said...

2:42, I don't make a habit of bashing people, but I'll make an exception in your case

BASH! BASH BASH BASH!
You need to learn a little something about respect and manners. Or are those concepts beyond your ability to understand? Get the chip off your shoulder and GROW UP.

This is an excellent post about one of my pet peeves. Good going, Chelsea.

Anonymous said...

What goes on in Court will make you sick! We need to bring back shame to those people that are convicted and quit acting like it was not their problem. And when these convicts come home they are actually given a party! People need to take care of their family and quit running around like wild dogs!