Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, December 06, 2008

A Very Humbling Day

As many of you were aware, I spent the bulk of my day Friday at WalMart ringing the bell for the Salvation Army. Although my day started at 9:00 AM and went all the way till 9:00 PM, the time flew by like you wouldn't believe.

I want to thank all of you for stopping by throughout the day and evening to say hello. Even I was amazed at just how many of you thanked me for what I do with Salisbury News and made a point to go out of your way to mention that.

I want to thank the many who offered a cup of coffee and ultimately one loyal reader and his better half who surprised me last night with an unbelievable cup of Hot Chocolate!!!!! Boy did that hit the spot.

When so many people make comments here under anonymous, it's hard to figure just how many different people they are but let me assure you, today showed me there are quite a few of you out there.

I would also like to thank the guys who relieved me at the North end of WalMart from 6-9 PM. You guys really helped me out and gave me some time to sit down with my Wife and get something to eat before I relieved the other wonderful couple at the South end from 7-9 PM. They weren't on the schedule, (a slip up by the Salvation Army).

So all in all, just when I thought this would be a horribly long day, it was quite the opposite. As a matter of fact, as long as my body can take it, I'd do it over and over again because it's that rewarding.

The smiles on every one's faces. Handing out almost 250 Candy Canes to small children and yes, even some adults. That was cool! I'll be back in Sam's Club buying another 300 to make sure I'm ready for the next go around.

I'm a bit tired writing this so I hope I'm making sense and getting across to all of you that today was one of the most rewarding days of my life. YOU complete Salisbury News. Thanks for the smiles, the warm reception from everyone and the appreciation for something I truly enjoyed doing. I'll see you out there again next week.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO, JOE!!!!
He's putting his money where his mouth is, doubters. If there were more people willing to stand in the cold for 12 hours at a time to benefit those in need, there might be less of those in need.
Keep up your good work, Joe. And watch the extra snacks, even if they're gifts! They still add up! lol

joe albero said...

OMG! I was so tired last night I forgot to thank that little girl who showed up with her home made cookies with a special delivery just to me.

What a sweetheart!!!!

Anonymous said...

You're only doing it for the advertisement. Your hidden agenda. We all know you don't give a shit about anybody else but yourself.

Anonymous said...

I just spoke with a man on the phone, he is a preacher down in Somerset County. We were talking about the bell ringing and how hard it is to get people to give of their time. He blames the economy, his theory is they are tightening their wallets and the amount of time they spend as well. I understand being more frugal in times like this with your money but your time? Does everything have to have a monetary value? More and more people are going to need the services provided by the Salvation Army this year than in recent years. Why is it so hard to give up an hour or two to help your fellow man? This is supposed to be the season of giving, that doesn't mean money or material items. It means just what it says, giving. Those that can't find time to help, I pray you never need help.

joe albero said...

anonymous 10:35,

Yeah, I'm doing it for the advertising. By the way, where am I getting any press out of this????? If you mean right here on this Blog, that's not advertising.

I'm doing it because YOU'RE NOT DOING IT!

Anonymous said...

I have a personal experience that Joe does help out those in need. I had something to sell a couple of years ago and Joe and Jennifer bought. They definitely didn't need but they bought anyways. Thank you Joe and Jennifer and by the way, I have more to sell and I do need money. LOL

Keep up the good work and I am trying to find some time to help out. Thank you for all you do.

Anonymous said...

Update the schedule salvation army.

joe albero said...

Funny you mentioned that. I was just going back and forth with e-mails with the Salvation Army and they just told me we'll have a new update very soon. Joe

Anonymous said...

Joe, I despise you and your tactics on this blog but I do applaud you for the hours you're putting in.

Good Job.

Anonymous said...

Oh Joe , will you come ring your bell for me ?

Anonymous said...

Sure he will. Right after he cleans up the leaves in front of Barrie's house.

Anonymous said...

Joe i was one of those that stopped by. thank you for the work you are doing. its a wonderful thing you are doing and i know u r doing it for all the right reasons NO matter what some jackasses think. NObody does what u do for selfish reasons, its mroe selfish not to do it, i wish i had the time and more money to give. keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I will be back in Salisbury this middle of this work after traveling on business, but would like to help out at Giant's location. Who do I contact for that spot!
Thanks a bunch!

joe albero said...

Call the Salvation Army at 410-749-7771 ext. 100 and they'll hook you right up. Thanks You!

Anonymous said...

I've got 10 slots coming up Joe. Thank you for helping the Salvation Army, they do far more for the community than the civic center.