Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Question of the Day, Wed 10/22

Jobs are hard to come by this day and age. The economy is depressing the American people like no other.

I was reminiscing with a high school friend that I hadn't seen since graduation. We talked about families, jobs and the good ole times we used to have in high school, which led me to think about my first job. So tell me . . .

Where was your first job? How old were you? What was your position? What did you do with your first and following pay checks? How long did you keep your first job? Did you quit or where you fired?

My first job was at Dave White's Pittsville Dinnette. I was 13. I kept that job until I got my license at 16 when I got another job. I quit because I wanted to work with computers. My Mom and Dad had bought me a 1965 Ford Mustang, so what money I didn't spend on clothes and nonsense stuff, I tried helping out with the car renovations. I still remember the hours . . . I worked 2 school nights a week from 5:30 - 8:30. Then I'd work Friday and Saturday night, and Sunday morning 7am - 3pm. I hated the job, but looking back now, it wasn't so bad. Looking back now, I'm sure I could have been a little nicer to Dave....he sure put up with a lotta shit from me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first job was cutting grass, then it was chunking watermelons on Mack Malones farm, we took all our money and bought beer and pot. You asked. That was a long time ago.

Moon Willow said...

My first job was waaaaaay back in 1967 at the old H&J drive in on the corner of Zion Rd. and Rt. 13. Man, we would make ourselves the biggest, fattest subs and eat lots of soft-serve ice cream when Harold and Pansy weren't around! Anyone else remember the place?

Jim said...

If you want to say cutting grass is your first job, then thats mine.
But my first real paycheck was at Wild World in Landover MD (Now a 6 Flags outfit) I worked at the hot dogger for Ogden Food services.

joe albero said...

That's too funny Jim. I remember that place. Didn't they have a zoo tere too? Joe

Anonymous said...

I remember H & J drive in. Isn't the old sign still used by Pohanka? I use to be. I will have to look the next time I drive by. Anyway, I grew up on Zion Road. Our mom use to let us ride our bikes to H & J. We spent some of our allowance there. My favorite thing was a pizza burger and a chocolate shake. I loved that place. Does anyone remember the Acorn Drive-In that was near by?