Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Giant Co Worker Speaks Out

"First of all, after having known Bruce for many years, I will start by saying that Bruce most likely did not write this letter. His wife did. He has a hard enough time getting out simple sentences, and figuring out how to correctly do his job even though he'd been doing it for over 14 years. Angela is right. His line was ALWAYS by far the slowest and most complained about line, of all the cashiers. He was disciplined on several occasions for customer complaints and recieved more complaints than other cashiers either do or did at the time. And as for the policy of employees not using their Bonuscards for purchases that aren't their own, that was ALWAYS the policy. Everyone new it. We were told when we were hired. We had the Read and Sign and a meeting about the new Employee Dicount Program, both before and after it began. And even if you didn't know, you'd have to raise an eyebrow when you've managed to acquire enough points in one day to pay for a $19.00 purchase. None of the other employees claimed to be unaware that what Bruce was doing was wrong. Most couldn't believe he'd actually done that after 14+ years with the company. All employees know that Giant takes employee theft VERY seriously. Even if it's only a dollar. And Bruce has seen many people get fired for stealing the smallest things. After so many years, he should have known that you will lose your job if you are found stealing from the company. The company knows that he was stealing because they have evidence. They also know that he was stealing in other ways.

Bottom line is that the only reason Bruce stayed employed at Giant for so long is because previous store management turned a blind eye to Bruce's slow lines, customer complaints and overall incompetance. A year or so ago, we got a new store manager who is very focused on following company policy. We've all had to tighten up and get better at doing our jobs, because the current management won't tolerate anything less. Whatever we were getting away with before, we are not getting away with now. I like Bruce, but everone who worked with him knew that he was incomparably slow and made mistakes that only rookie cashiers make. And whether or not anyone likes Bruce, is really beside the point. He was stealing. It was documented and he was fired. He's not the first person to steal and be fired for it and he probably won't be the last.

Oh, and for all you "Bruce fans"... Here's a little something you probably didn't know. Many cashiers complained about him "spit cleaning" his scanner, on several occasions. Yes, boys and girls, many of us have seen him spit on his scanner, where he'd lay your produce to weight it, and wipe it off with a paper towel. Why? Who knows. We do have spray cleaner at all of the registers. Unfortunately, management wanted to see it for themselves before they took action, so who knows how many times he did this throughout his career.I don't know about you, one time is just too much for me. He's a nice guy, but really not altogether there."

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does Bruce look like? I'm trying to figure out if he was the cashier I always tried to avoid because he was so slow and would chit chat with people while the rest of us were standing in line with melting ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you feel that way about Bruce. Giant has maintained a climate of polished up LOW LIFE employees for years here.I was made aware of drug dealing Asst. Managers,thieves, child abusers and dead beat fathers who failed to pay child support among others.The UNION is what kept them in the job. There were people that I personally knew who were extremely shady all their lives and worked there. Yes this is society today and more widespread than we care to believe. However, I do not consider Bruce to be in that catagory. I refuse to shop at a store that is a third higher on most items than other stores. All the flashy adds out of Landover wont lure me back. I would hire Bruce today if he was interested in working for me. He is a good person and nobody will change my opinion of him.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Is there anyway that you can add tags or even a link to any related articles when you post things like this. I clearly missed to original letter and would like to find the article.

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Don't glorify that loser, Angela. She is one of the most contemptable, self important people ever blundered by the human race. She should be fined for breathing air some decent person could use!

I hope Giant goes out of business soon.
I refuse to shop at a store that fires a decent person, like Bruce,
but keeps their drug dealers, child molesters and non-support parents.....Just the kind of people Angela deserves!
Polly Markis

Anonymous said...

Question
How many here remember Frank at Giant. What was he known for Huh ? They didn't get rid of him did they ?

Anonymous said...

It is theft.
Grand jury investigated you two weeks ago on more charges. I only know cause some guys asked me who you were and if I ever read your site. I said NO but I still could not get any info out of him?

Anonymous said...

polly if that truly is your name..do you even angela?? my guess is you don't. So why don't you stick with the topic instead bashing people you don't know. I know her and know for a fact she goes grate links to care for her children.

I don't know bruce..but apparently he must of done what they said he did or they wouldn't have fired him. Many of us are going to starve to death because they don't want to shop at stores where chesters, drug dealers, and etc work..well they work all over its nothing new. That's why we guard our children more while we are shopping.

Why are we rehashing this anyway?? this letter happened what?? a month or 2 ago??? let it go and move on.

Anonymous said...

DEAR GIANT COWORKER, THAT IS TELLING IT LIKE IT IS.I AM GLAD YOU BROUGHT UP THE SPIT ISSUE. THAT SHOULD TELL SOME PEOPLE SOMETHING ABOUT HIS STATE OF MIND. TO THE BRUCE FANS OUT THERE HE ALSO SPIT IN HIS HAND TO GET CHANGE OUT AND HAND IT BACK TO YOU. I DON'T MEAN LICKING HIS FINGERS I MEAN HOCKING A SPIT BALL. SORRY BUT PART OF MY LUNCH JUST CAME UP.I HAVE SEEN THAT PERSONALLY.
I ALSO THINK HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN GONE YEARS AGO.
WHAT PEOPLE DO ON THEIR OWN TIME IS THEIR BUSINESS AND IF IT DOESN'T AFFECT THEIR JOB PERFORMANCE THEN THEY CAN'T BE FIRED FOR IT. THE UNION DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THIEVES. IF YOU GET CAUGHT STEALING YOU ARE GONE.IF YOU ARE RUDE OR NASTY TO PATRONS THEN YOU SHOULD BE WARNED. BRUCE WAS AND HE GOT WHAT HE DESERVED.

Anonymous said...

There was a guy who worked in the store several months ago that basically was a major pain in the butt. I almost reported him to the manager as I dreaded going into the store to shop because he would come up to me and try to make the moves on me. Management did nothing about it and because of his race, I was afraid to report it. I would then hear the word discrimination coming out. Bruce on the other hand was a fine gentleman who was always very polite and considerate when I passed through his line. But yet they let this other guy (wish I could remember his name) continue to harass female customers and they did nothing about it. And you cant tell me they were not aware of what was going on.

Chimera said...

Despite his alleged "quirks" I always found Bruce to be a friendly "people-person" and thats a soft skill that they just cannot train people to do,and a trait that is lacking in alot of businesses.Friendliness and being helpful goes a helluva long way in retaining customers.

Anonymous said...

I know of a dead beat "dad" and I hesitate to even use the word dad to describe him, who has worked at Giants for years making good money. I am sure he also uses his job at Giant to gain customers for his very profitable home based side food business. Everyone thinks he is such a great man. Really great, He has children he refuses to see and child support he never pays. You want to fire someone for being a loser this man should have gone long ago.

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you all a little something about Giant Food. When I first learned that they had signed the-Pre-Lease for the former Superfresh store located next to Walmart, I informed the Assistant Manager that they were making a big, big, mistake. I told him flat out that they would never make it.

He inturn informed me that according to their analysis that their projections showed them making money if they could sustain $320,000 a week in sales.

I was so sure that they were not going to make it I even tried to alert their headquarters on their home website. I learned their lease was for 5 years and I understand that they lost big time on this blunder.

So Bruce's wages are peanuts compared to the blunder the manager made on Leasing the former Superfresh facility. I'd be willing to bet you they lost over 5mil on this blunder if not more.

Anonymous said...

Why wasnt the manager watching the guy who would walk up to the single/married women to "flirt" with them while he was on duty? I have to agree with anon 931PM - they let that go on for quite a while. Not sure if he is still around as with all the new "unexperienced" cashiers that work the registers, it has made it more inconvenient to shop there with fewer cashier lines open. It seems as though they are trying to cut costs with the self checkout wheras having a long time cashier like Bruce I am sure was costing them money. However, reading how much they lost on the North side store closing down, you're right - it was just peanuts.

Anonymous said...

OK. Don't believe people who actually worked with the slob you choose to defend because he smiled at you. Ignore the fact that Giant prices have dropped drastically and their organic food line is lower priced and second to none and they are the cleanest store in the area. Go ahead and spend your food dollar at Bleach Fish, I mean, Foodlion, or somewhere else. And keep the rumor mill going about what you heard he said, she said. You idiots didn't work with the guy. Who gives a crap anyway...half of America could be losing their jobs, and they are not stealing. God you people are ignorant.