Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, September 28, 2008

FOUR FATALITIES IN STATE POLICE MEDEVAC CRASH IN PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY

(Forestville, MD) – Maryland State Police have confirmed the identifications of the victims from the crash involving a State Police helicopter early this morning in Prince George’s County.

The deceased victims are identified as Stephen J. Bunker, 59, of Waldorf, Md., the State Police pilot; Trooper First Class Mickey C. Lippy, 34, of Westminster, Md., the State Police flight paramedic; Tanya Mallard, 39, of Waldorf, an EMT-B with the Waldorf Rescue Squad; and Ashley J. Younger, 17, of Waldorf, who was a patient being transported.

The surviving victim of the crash is identified as Jordan A. Wells, 18, of Waldorf. Wells is currently undergoing treatment at the Prince George’s County Hospital Center.

At about 11:00 p.m. yesterday, Maryland State Police medevac helicopter, Trooper 2, was dispatched to the scene of a traffic crash in Waldorf. Trooper 2 left its hangar at the Andrews Air Force Base. It was piloted by Mr. Steven Bunker and the flight paramedic was Trooper First Class Mickey Lippy.

The crew flew to the crash scene and picked up two patients, Ashley Younger and Jordan Wells. Joining the crew to assist with medical care on the flight to the hospital was Tanya Mallard, who had responded to the scene with the Waldorf Rescue Squad.

Trooper 2 lifted off and headed to the Prince George’s Hospital Center. No call came from the helicopter crew notifying helicopter dispatch that they had landed.

Just before 12:30 this morning, the State Police Forestville Barracks, the Prince George’s County Police, Prince George’s County Sheriff’s Office, and the Prince George’s County Fire Department launched a search for the helicopter. Flight following equipment was used to locate the region of the crash. The crash site was found by police officers on foot shortly before 2:00 a.m. today. The crash site is in a wooded area within the Walker Mill Regional Park, in the 8000-block of Walker Mill Road, in Forestville.

The four deceased victims were pronounced dead at the scene. The surviving victim was transported by ambulance to the Prince George’s Hospital Center.

Officials from the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration were notified and are on the scene. Maryland State Police investigators are also on the scene and are providing any assistance necessary to the federal investigators.

Pilot Stephen Bunker had been with the Maryland State Police since 1972. He was a State Police corporal, who retired in 1998 and returned to service as a civilian pilot. He had flown for the Maryland State Police for more than 24 years. He was married and had three grown children. Mr. Bunker held a commercial pilot’s license and was a certified flight instructor and a certified instrument flight instructor. He also had a single engine airplane pilot’s license.

Trooper First Class Mickey Lippy was appointed to the Maryland State Police four years ago. He had been in the Aviation Command as a flight paramedic for since April of 2007. TFC Lippy was married. He had recently returned from family leave after the birth of his daughter, who is four months old.

Tanya Mallard was a dedicated member of the Waldorf Rescue Squad, at Station 12. She did not hesitate to join the crew of Trooper 2 this morning in their effort to save the lives of their two patients. She leaves behind her husband and two children.

The aircraft was a Eurocopter Dauphin II twin jet engine helicopter. It became a part of the State Police fleet in June 1989, and was the second helicopter purchased in the current fleet. The helicopter completed a 100-hour inspection on Wednesday, September 24th.

The State Police Aviation Command has grounded all aircraft for at least today. Allied partners in the U.S. Park Police, Delaware State Police, Pennsylvania State Police, and commercial medevac companies will be covering the state today with helicopter services.

The Maryland State Police will work diligently with federal authorities to uncover the details of what occurred this morning. Our ultimate goal is to determine what caused the crash and this tragic loss of life.

All calls regarding the details or cause of the crash, and any updates concerning the investigation should be directed to the National Transportation Safety Board, at 202-314-6100.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sad.

Anonymous said...

all gave some some gave all....brothers in blue, i thank you for your sacrifice, and am sorry for your loss. They gave their life ensuring others could live free

Anonymous said...

another sad loss for the thin blue line and all involved-so sorry

Anonymous said...

May God be with their families, these individuals died with dignity, honor and respect, as they did the job they were trained to do each day without hesitation. myself being a Police Officer, and a firefighter will band my badge today and lower our flags to half staff, you to may lower your flags to honor these individuals, May my Brothers and sisters Rest in Peace as they gave their life doing their daily routine of Protecting and Serving the communities in which they live.

joe albero said...

Now that gave me good bumps. God Bless you, those families involved and especially that little child who lost his Father.

Anonymous said...

This is a sad day...I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Did you give credit for copying that story from the Baltimore Sun? I wouldn't want them to contact you to remove it like you do everyone else.

joe albero said...

Look you Anti Albero Idiot. This Post came from the PRESS RELEASE from the Maryland State Police. I didn't steal anything, so go to hell.

Mardela said...

Joe, don't let peole like that take away your joy. Something like that shouldn't even be posted.

Not only is this a day for the thin blue line, but also for the thin red line. Brothers and sisters doing what their heart has guided them to do. Save lives and help those in need. This just goes to remind us, that as our police officers and fire responders leave their stations, you never know if you will be coming back. Anything can happen.

We'll mourn and pray for the ones who lost their lives, the families and friends who will miss them, the investigators who have to pick through the crash scene and those of us who serve our communities.

Joe please take this week to give all of our fire and police a break from the digs. Every one of them could loose their lives protecting and helping you or your family. This is a time to mourn, not scorn.

We will miss them all. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

As i agree with those that lost their lives in regards to the troopers and paramedics but nothing was mentioned about the 17yr old girl who also lost her life. She was someones daughter, granddaughter and she should have been recognized as well..such a young life taken out. Blessings to her family as well and best wishes to the young man still fighting for his...

Anonymous said...

my husband's best friend is a medic on Trooper 2. He was not working last night but we are all numb. Thank you for posting, I'm from the OC area and the Daily Times has yet to acknowledge the worst medevac accident in MSP history.

Anonymous said...

This is so tragic. I am away at school now and I cant believe this. I am an EMT-B at station 12, the same station as Tanya Mallard who died in the crash. I also recently graduated from Westlake High School with the car crash victims. I pray that God be with all of the victims families.

Anonymous said...

Mickey Lippy was my uncle his daughters name was madison. Mickey was the best uncle I ever had. I am crying as I type this because the last thing I said to him is I love you and Good Bye in person on Labor day. The troopers came to my grandparents door to tell them I was devastated.

Anonymous said...

Mickey Lippy was the best uncle I ever had. Thank you to all the people for praying for him and his friends as well.

Anonymous said...

To Anon 4:09 and 4:10,

My condolences to you and your family on this tragic day. Mickey did not die in Vain, his name will always be remembered as he is one of the finest that gave his all. It is not how he died, it is how he lived. (tears)

Anonymous said...

Such a devastating story to awake to this morning. I have met the crews on our own Trooper 4 many times as my husband is a career Paramedic @ Pocomoke, my oldest daughter is an EMT B, and my youngest daughter is taking Criminal Justice @ the Worcester Career & Technology Center.

My prayers are with the families of the individuals who gave their lives in the line of duty, and with those that survived an accident only to suffer a horrific tragedy like this one.

I hope that the loan survivor makes out well,and we all must remember what a terrible memory this will be for that person

Thanks again for all of the people that are there when we need you. You are truly the angels on Earth.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for all the lives lost. Everyone please remember that people who work for the Emergency Services put their lives on the line everytime a new call comes in. My prayers are with all involved.

Anonymous said...

The police, the firefighters, the paramedics, the nurses, and our military---these are MY heros. We take them for granted until we need them or until a tragedy like this occurs. We should tell our kids to look up to them and not the overpaid rockstars and pro athletes that get so much media attention.

Anonymous said...

This is such a sad thing that has happened to everyone involved. Can we stop the accusation of theft and the comebacks with all the anger. Let's focus on the family members and friends who have so tragically lost loved ones. I for one will be praying that they get the comfort they need a most difficult time in their lives. Please people, respect?

Anonymous said...

I just needed to say after spending the day with my family how amazing a person my baby brother Mickey Lippy was. He was the most genuine man you could ever wish to meet. He was a loving father, husband, son, brother and friend. He died what he loved doing...helping people. He had wanted this job for as long as I can remember. He worked hard to get where he was starting from the bottom up. Heaven just got a wonderful person and I'm sure he'll be just as great up there. I'm so sad that his beautiful baby daughter will never know her loving father. Our families mourn the loss not just of our own but also the other three families dealing with this tradgedy. Our many thanks to the State Police whom have been there for us through this ordeal.

Anonymous said...

Dawn,

My condolences to you, your family, and everyone touched by this tragedy. May your brother R.I.P.

Thanks for having the strength for making a comment.

Anonymous said...

Over two years ago I was a patient on Trooper 2. It was the day of all the flooding from the storm in Hurlock and other areas. If it hadn't been for the pilot and the EMT on board my life would be very different today. I thank God for those two individuals each and every day.

For the families left behind I am so sorry for your loss. From a patient who flew on Trooper 2 thank you for being there when time mattered.

Chimera said...

My regrets to the families of the victims....

Anonymous said...

Me and my family need as much as support as we can get. This is something we may never get over.

Anonymous said...

i knew these girls very well,i graduated with them...it is a sad day.

Anonymous said...

My hugs and prayers are with each family. To the medical personnel families: They died doing what they loved to do. To the young girl's family: My heart hurts for you. For the survivor's family: That young man is destined to be something great. God spared him twice!

Anonymous said...

this now puts us at 92 line of duty deaths for the year :( let's not hit a hundred please people be careful!!!

Anonymous said...

It is Kylie again, Chrissy is coming to my house and people think this is not a big deal to their families. It still is! It is not funny I go to my school counseler like every day. I am upset.Too upset. But Mickey wouldn't want me to be upset.He would want me to move on with my life and be happy. Mickey is awesome still. I don't have anymore Uncles by blood, only by marrige. He will be forever in my heart and so will the other people. They were my heroes especially Mickey. I have him in a special place in my heart.A place especially for him. I am honored that they had a moment of silence for him at the Hereford Football Game. He was coach, and some people he coached have become pros in the NFL. I told him to name Maddie, Natalie Fran Lippy, because her initials would be NFL. He didn't but her initials now are MJL. She is so cute and looks just like him. I am so happy that she looks just like Mick. They found his Cell, and wallet. They wouldn't of gone out if the weather had come in earlier. But right now I am too sad to say anymore. Leave comments for me, to support me.

Anonymous said...

Kylie,
this is Dawn. Your Uncle loved you so much, and you know it. Remember what you can. There have been so many good memories. He turned you on to all his crazy bands and songs! I do not approve of them. Well, some of them. Hang in there. Someday things will get brighter. Isn't that a song . I'm not approving of his Buckcherry songs. You guy's listened to Crazy Bitch going to vacation. you're so cool, dude. Not that I'm happy that the girl's listen to this... I Wish you were here. You were such a great guy. People are going to get tired of me writing about you. R.I.P. my friend.

your sister,

Dawn Marie

Anonymous said...

But mother that wasn't only his favorite song it was chrissy's too. MADDIE>MADDIE>MADDIE>IS SO CUTE!!!Oh yeah and if Cailyn you are reading this keep reading. YOU LOVE MIKE AND CODY!!