Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

For Bill Duvall, the Enemy of My Enemy ...

I'm sure that you have heard the old adage, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". If you have ever been involved in politics, you have probably been guilty of falling for it at one time or another. Unfortunately, few locals have been more guilty of this sin of vacuity more than our local sage Bill Duvall.

There is no question that Bill would be leading the charge for the election of Maryland Sen. Andy Harris (R-7) to Congress EXCEPT for the support thrown on Harris by Salisbury News publisher Joe Albero (and perhaps myself). Harris and Duvall are very close philosophically. Of course it is far more important to trash someone who is perceived to be a friend of Duvall's archenemy Albero.

Yesterday we were treated to a similar post by Duvall. Somehow, Duvall has decided that Albero has endorsed a tax increase for Salisbury.

I did a little search. The only two RECENT posts mentioning a tax increase on Salisbury News were one written by me (not Albero) and one post where Albero is drawing attention to the city's crumbling public infrastructure. In this post Albero asks (tongue in cheek) if a 50% tax increase would make things better.

Unless senility has fully set in, Duvall could not be referring to Albero's post. Therefore he must be referring to the one that I wrote. Sadly, I have to inquire into Duvall's mental fitness if that is the case.

Nowhere did I advocate for a tax increase in the city of Salisbury. I clearly stated that last year's double digit property tax increase put forward by our own Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Barrie Tilghman, Gary Comegys, Louise Smith and Shanie Shields) was unwarranted. I did state that a tax increase would be made necessary in next year's budget, but ONLY because of the gross fiscal mismanagement of Tilghman (enabled by Comegys, Smith and Shields).
The need for a tax increase - last year, this year or next, is certainly unwarranted but was, and will be necessary, due to Tilghman’s spendthrift ways and the refusal of her three lackeys on the city council to rein her in.

Perhaps I expect too much from readers like Duvall. Since Duvall has, presumedly, come down from university, received a law degree, and passed a bar exam you would think that he could understand a simple (if somewhat long) sentence written in English.

While I do not agree with the opinions of some of Duvall's commenters who seem to think that he has begun to carry water for Tilghman, I have to conclude that Duvall has again fallen prey to the old adage.

Perhaps his inability to analyze fairly simple rhetoric explains his prejudice against Maryland's public schools?

cross posted at Delmarva Dealings

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Duvall is old and over the hill , his memory has failed him
and repeats himself time after time. Other than that he is a faily good ole boy , as they say.

Anonymous said...

I tried to post many comments on his site to the same effect, that Mr. Harris represents the kind of true Republican ideals that Duvall subscribes to, NONE were ever posted. Once the champion of Campbell and Cohen he now rarely mentions their heroic and outstanding fiscal conservationism. I once revered him, now he has joined the ranks of the perverse, obscene and beyond crude anti Albero sites that are truly offensive to anyone with a shred of integrity or half a logical brain.

Anonymous said...

"Wetback Willie" is more to be pitied than censured.

Anonymous said...

Did you get that 4 horseman thing from me? LoL if not it has been on my mind. It is pretty childish to not like Andy Harris because Joe is supporting him, and take that from a democrat for Andy Harris!