Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 14, 2008

I Met A True War Hero Last Night


Last night I was at a Lincoln Day Dinner with several politicians and one of the representatives there was with the John McCain Campaign.

One would expect when you meet one of these Delegates you'd think they're simply a local politician. However, in this case, this was a man no one would have ever expected to be.

I was honored to break bread with this man. I sat at the same table with him for hours and to my surprise they asked him to please come up and say a few words. WELL, Mr. Mike Cronin got up[ there and just blew everyone away with his experiences.

You see, it turns out Mike was a POW with John McCain in Hanoi for 6 YEARS! He explained how difficult things were there, especially for John McCain. The reason being is, John McCain was injured when he crashed his plane and the injured got NO medical treatment. Broken bones healed crooked and any internal injuries in most cases killed many Soldiers.

John McCain was injured in several different ways but survived. The other main problem John McCain had was that they found out he was politically connected. It not only made things more difficult for him, they made him offers to send him home if he shared information and John refused to do so. He was a true Hero.

Nevertheless, I was honored to have met this man and I will never forget him. John McCain is a very lucky man to have such a great friend, especially after all these years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They were both very lucky men who deseserve our nations gratitude for what they went through in prison camps. John McCain is a hero in my mind and certainly has my support for his campaign to become President and you know what? I do believe he will win this thing too!

A. Goetz

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope so! The worst thing that could happen is have an Obama or Clinton running the US,
Thank you Mr. Goetz

Anonymous said...

Hero? Hero? I think victim is more like it. The American people were told lies about the Gulf of Tonkin. The politicians started a war under false pretense. Just like they did in 2002.

Anonymous said...

I have disagreed with John McCain on a few issues, but have always respected him for his service to our country, both in war or in peace.