Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, March 03, 2008

The Wicomico Landfill Has More Secrets To Be Exposed

Years ago you used to be able to go to the Wicomico County Landfill and take items you knew nothing was really wrong with it and place it off to the right hand side. It was an inside thing locals knew about. Therefore, when someone came along and felt they could use that washer, or dryer, or frig, of whatever else might be in decent shape, it could be taken for free and put back to good use. More importantly it would save that much more room in the Landfill.

A few years ago people came to the Landfill and when they saw one of these items off to the right and attempted to take the item, the men in the booth would come running out of the building screaming and yelling at you to LEAVE IT ALONE!

These guys had their own little business on the sly going, allegedly selling off these items and making money off them. Again, something you're NOT going to read in The Daily Times because quite frankly, they're too big for these kind of stories.

So for the many of you who have been yelled at and belittled, this is for you. How dare those scumbags treat YOU like YOU were stealing! Nevertheless, I hope Sheriff Lewis and Rick Pollitt look into this portion of the alleged resale items? It may be small to them but just sit there for one hour and see how many great items get thrown away. It will blow your mind!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had them come up to my truck and tell me to put things on the ground in front of the dumpsters.

Anonymous said...

Last year I intentionally did not put my sticker in my window to see if and when I would be challenged. Finally in JUNE (1 month before needing a new one) I was approached for not having a sticker. It was in the glove box, so I put it on at that time. It makes me wonder how many people use the landfill without paying the fee?
'Tony'

Anonymous said...

S whats wronmg with atha? It helps keep our landfills down....Itrs not like they were stealing it and breaking the same laws that Mike Lewis is trying to cover up from our prosecutor.

Anonymous said...

I bought some mulch there a few years ago. I forgot how much he told me a pickup truck load was I forgot, I told him I didn't need a whole load but did get a half or better.

I wasn't offered a receipt, the money I gave the guy went right in his pocket.

Anonymous said...

Mike Lewis covering up? You need to go have a drink or take another hit on whatever it is you're smoking.

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I dont see a problem here. Those guys make little to nothing. So what if they pull something off to the side they think they might be able to use. As long as it doesnt interfere with their jobs. I would tell soemebody to put it down too if they were trying to take something I set aside for myself. I'd call it a job perk. If there is such a thing at a landfill. As for the comment about not being questions about a lack of a dump sticker, consider yourself lucky because I have seen people get busted for not having it and their responses were awful. Just because the guy is an attendant at a transfer station doesnt mean you are so above him you can talk to him like sh!t. One person I overheard seemed to think that just because they paid taxes they he ought to shut his mouth. That was at the Delmar transfer station.

Anonymous said...

I bought bow from them for 5 bucks years ago. Alumunium would be piled aside to go to the scrap yards.

Anonymous said...

The substation on Fooks road was a place to buy junk mowers for parts for 10 or 15 a piece.