Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Other Side Of The Robinson Story


Tuesday morning, just before we opened at 10:00 am, I took my Glock (the gun is licensed and registered to me), out of the cash drawer where I had stored it overnight. I do not keep a loaded gun in my store during the day when I am in and out of the store. I took the clip out of the gun and then pulled back the slide to clear the chamber of any round. While doing so, I kept the gun pointed down and slightly away. Obviously, I did not clear the chamber properly because I fired a single round into the floor.

Lauren Porter who helps us out part time was behind me as I had turned my back to her. She was only 3 feet away from me at the computer when I fired the gun. The bullet disintegrated on contact into the carpet and concrete. Some concrete did fly off the floor. The entire gunshot area was not even the size of a quarter, and the concrete that chipped away was less than the depth of a quarter lying flat.

I immediately checked Lauren who said she was OK. She had NO signs of any injuries at all and had NO marks at all in or on her clothing. I told her to go to the restroom and check herself. She did so and said other than her ears ringing she was fine. I went to Wal-Mart to get some supplies and came back. I asked Lauren if her ears were still ringing and she replied, “a little.”

Howard Shockley, a clockmaker that does clock work for us was here the entire time. Also, Cindy, who does engraving for us came in at 10:30ish and she worked all day. We had a normal day at work. At 11:30ish Lauren went out and got a hotdog from Elliott’s. Then around 2:15ish I made Lauren leave so she would not miss her class at Wor-Wic. She said good-bye and left.

Around 3:15, Lauren’s Uncle “Hank” came in the store irate at what happened, screaming like a lunatic. I told him to calm down and come in the back so I could tell him what happened. He came around the counter hit me with two fists, spit on me and threatened to burn down my house since he said he knew where I lived. I had 5 customers in the store at this time that can verify this if need be.

Then after telling him I was going to call the police and have him arrested he said he was calling them to report the incident. This was around 3:30. The Salisbury Police immediately called me and told me Deputies were in Route. The Guy “Hank” then proceeded to spit on my front door and scream more threats. A male customer told him to leave and made sure he went outside of the store where he drove his truck around and eventually pulled up on the sidewalk and left his vehicle running there until just before the police arrived.

It was at this point, about 6 hours after discharging my gun into the floor that Lauren apparently discovered some injuries and went to the hospital to be checked. I do not know if she was injured or not and have not heard from her or her family since. She NEVER told me all day she was injured in any way shape or form. She did tell Howard she was hit by some concrete, something I learned the next day, but she also told him she was “Fine.” She never told Cindy of the incident or of any injuries, at all.

I obviously feel terrible about the entire ordeal but at no time would I ever intentionally put Lauren or anyone, in harms way. In fact, I have been very kind to Lauren giving her money to pay her cell phone bill and just last week I gave her a tanning bed for helping us out. She is also helping out at the store to pay off a ring she still owes money on. I do know she is currently on medicine for psychological problems and is going to counseling. Something she openly told us within the past few weeks. I have already and do again express my sincerest apologies for the incident as I know how it was a shock for all involved.

John D. Robinson, Sr.
This is a copy of statment of facts. Given to police

22 comments:

joe albero said...

John Said.....

"She did tell Howard she was hit by some concrete, something I learned the next day,"

NOPE, sorry John, that's a lie. YOU told Bruce and I that night she had been hit with fragments, remember the zit thing?

Why would I have ever thought this could be complete without lies?

joe albero said...

I should add, I'm the one that actually brought it up that night because "I" had been told fragments hit her and we all, (including you) discussed it.

Anonymous said...

Hold up....what does the fact (as he claims) that she's on medication and going to counseling have to do with him firing a gun???
That's reallllll nice John, take the poor kid down with you....plant that seed in everyone's head that she is the one with the problem not you. You (John) should just man up, admit you made a mistake and be done with it. People would be OK with that.
And as for the 'uncle' coming in and doing what you state (which I also don't believe) you're lucky. Plenty of fathers, uncles, brothers, grandfathers and probably a LOT of mothers would do a whole lot worse to you!

Anonymous said...

Why are you involved in this Albero? I thought you were done with Robinson.

Anonymous said...

Wow I think it's pretty pathetic that instead of finding real news around Salisbury, you have to "report" on this crap. Who really cares? How is this affecting you or me in any way? Grow up already. If you were a real "unbiased news source" you'd post about something that actually has to do with the people in Salisbury. Maybe then we'd actually take you seriously.

Anonymous said...

I dont know anyone of these folks but I fell compelled. Thats nothing more than an accident. I wouldnt even call that neglijence. If she was behind him I dont see how she could of been hit with anything. If she was, then its very unfortunet and I'm sure terrifying, but so are car accidents. She wouldnt have stayed there nearly all day if she was in any pain. I honestly think the uncle Hank is the one that should be charged, its a big time affense to theaten anyone with fire, not to mention battery. I'm sure you've learned your lesson about your complecentcy with a firearm. I'd love to hear your reason for getting the bench warrant?

HipBoots

Anonymous said...

Joe sent you an email - I don't have account with blogger. So you know this is me. You are mixed up. Obvious I knew she said claimed she was hit by flooring that night from Sheriffs Dept. That is why she said she went to hospital for some 6 hours later! I said in my statement... I did not know she told Howard she was hit by flooring until next day. She just never told me directly and I did not know from her she was injured.

ANYWAY, again ... it was a mistake, I always unload my gun every morning before the workday. I am more than disappointed in myself for screwing up. Please know I would never would put anyone in harms way! I have ammunition that disintegrates on contact just so if my gun ever did go off accidentally or intentionally the bullet would not go through drywall and hurt an innocent person. That is how careful I had been in the past with using my gun. In fact the clip was out of the gun, in my pocket when I shot my gun. I was clearing the round in the chamber when it shot.
I certainly don't think unloading my gun, having it pointed at floor would be reckless endangerment but I made a mistake. It certainly was a non-intentional stupid mistake. A mistake that I am very sorry for having done. It is now up to courts to decide and I will respect that judgment. We all make mistakes. Unlike many others that have made your blog in recent weeks this was a complete accident.
JOHN

Anonymous said...

Mr. Robinson, why would you "tell the world" that Lauren is on medication for psychological reasons? Surely she deserves privacy; this is quite privileged information.

Anonymous said...

Umm he didn't tell the world he sent that letter to the sheriffs department. Maybe that letter should have been kept private considering that it is not this blog's business. WHAT AN IDEA?!

Anonymous said...

8:41 said it all for me. Don't need a HIPPA act when John is around lol.

undermine said...

Sounds to me like a bad accident. I have known John for years and am sure if he felt she was injured, he would have insisted on taking her for medical treatment. I am sure he has learned a valuable lesson from this.

Anonymous said...

John has no business with a gun even with a permit. He will lie to protect himself or any story he is spinning.His lies and mouth closed up Tiny Tot Childcare Center.He couldn't accept that maybe a mistake was made with the corrective action taken with his child. He acted just like Hank and drove the Moore's out of business. You know what they say- what goes around comes around. Aren't paybacks terrible?

Anonymous said...

John told the police. Joe told the world about the medication.

Chimera said...

Whats this about "Tiny Tot"?Please fill me in people!
I just wanted to add that I hope this does not discourage businesses from keeping firearms on premises.Alot of the thugs that roam Salisbury might think twice about pulling robberies if they think they could get a cap in their ass for their efforts.

Anonymous said...

This whole incident would not have happened if people would stop buying hand guns, which are the most dangerous of weapons for a person to have. I did a career in the Marine Corps, as you all know, and I saw plenty of "accidental" discharges of hand guns, even while in the combat area in Korea back in 1952/53. And it is usually someone thinking the guns chamber is clear, just like John did! Lets let the people who know guns have them (the police) and get the rest of them trashed.

A Goetz

Anonymous said...

Mr. Goetz, with due respect, you will get my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers, and not a minute sooner. Im surprised that you were a marine and have no respect for the Bill of Rights.

Anonymous said...

A Goetz

2:52 PM

Somebody take his damn back medicine away from him right now! He's gone plum loco! Cheeze n crackers man! Dont ever open that can a worms again.

HipBoots

Anonymous said...

John,
You have said you regret not having served in the military, Prehaps if you had served you would have learned how to properly handle firearms and then the only thing you would be shooting off would be your mouth. You were lucky this time, leave the weapons to the grown ups.

Tim Chaney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The question should be, SHOULD he be allowed to have a handgun permit while on the medication he is on? Doesn't he have to disclose that info applying for a permit?

Another question is if he had the clip in his pocket, like he says he did. Had one round left in the chamber, it is impossible for it to go off without either pulling the hammer back or full pulling the trigger.

There would be one other alternative, and that would be if the handgun was old and malfunctioning and worn parts did not reject the bullet from the chamber properly. That can be checked out. Glocks are over rated anyway, buy a Ruger.

One would hope that those with handgun permits target practice regularly and make sure the firearm is in good working condition. If he was in the military, coast guard or undercover man, he should know that.

Anonymous said...

Robinson 5:24 PM : Tuesday morning, just before we opened at 10:00 am, I took my Glock (the gun is licensed and registered to me), out of the cash drawer where I had stored it overnight. I do not keep a loaded gun in my store during the day when I am in and out of the store.
*******
So when do you have it loaded? When it is in the cash drawer overnight when nobody is there? The more you speak the further your foot gets into your mouth. Idiot

When I managed a retail store we always kept the cash drawers open and empty for all(looking thru the window)to see when the store was closed.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,
I just checked the Maryland case search site and saw that JR's
traffic case and F.T.A. had been removed. Does JR know someone that we don't? Inquiring minds want to know!