Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 07, 2008

I Just Posted This On Story Chat

Crazycatbox, The new Fire Station will have a Museum in the new building, so there's no need for a second one within the City. Might I add, there's a HUGE Museum right in Hebron that is supposed to be out of this world and it's right off Rt. 50.

Come Here, I am the former owner of that property and am very proud to have sold the property to Todd & Carroll Wampler. It is now called, "Station 7 Restaurant." The Salisbury Fire Department is probably twice the size of that restaurant and the cost is not important here.
That being said, let me make this pledge to ALL of the Citizens and Taxpayers of Salisbury.

IF the City is willing to sell me that building, I pledge to bring that building back to its original condition with exception to the top floor. Allow me to explain. The top floor is mainly offices right now. My plan would be as follows.

First of all, out of full and due respect for the Wamplers, Station 16 would be very similar. The theme for the restaurant I propose for that location would continue to have a Fire Department decor. I would collect as much memorabilia as possible for this location as well as other Local Fire Departments.

I would use the ground level, (basement) as the kitchen. The main street level would be wide open for dining and the third floor would be a Bar and possibly an Office area.

I would make every attempt to duplicate the "ORIGINAL" front doors to the building and I can assure you, the Citizens of Salisbury would be very proud.

This will not only create around 40 to 50 jobs, it would also create a real estate tax base in the City in which it has never seen on this particular property. Not while it's been a Fire Station anyway. It would create a positive economic & development to the area and I can assure you, it would become a HUB for more businesses to come.

In case you were not aware, I owned a Restaurant called, "Happy Days Cafe" in Crofton, Maryland next to Jaspers on Rt. 301. This business was a huge success. I also owned a Chain of Upscale Billiard Rooms with food service in all of them. I have a SUCCESSFUL background in this business and the only reason I got out of them was simply because I became burned out also owning my Manufacturing Company at the same time.
So this is not just an off the cuff thing I am proposing. If you want this building to stay historic, my proposal will assure each and every one of you the peace of mind for just that. Go to my Blog Site and see the photos of what the Arts Group is proposing. NO ONE ELSE has those photos. It's absolutely unbelievable. This is a link to that exact article. http://sbynews.blogspot.com/2008/02/hell-we-dont-just-want-freee-building.html

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, throw in a small stage for acoustic music, or live bands, or open mike for public gatherings and you'll be offering everything they are and then some. Also, this won't be "Phase I" for you, nor will you be asking the City to give you anything for free. By the way, did they ever say what they planned to do with the building after Phase I?

Anonymous said...

I find it funny that they would build this performing arts center exactly one block from where the 6ft pipe dumping storm water from hundreds of acres around town. We can watch a play while cans and plastic bottles float by. One can only hope that the arts center doesn't flood like Market Street and the Library will. Please don't give it to any public entity, they have no history of any success downtown.

Anonymous said...

Joe I LOVE your idea- my husband and I LOVE Station 7 in Pittsville and I personally would be THRILLED to have something like that here in Salisbury and near my home. The income it would generate would be fantastic with all of the people in offices, businesses and the hospital close by to come in and grab a meal. To me it's a no brainer.

Anonymous said...

[comment from the Daily Times website]

A couple years ago the old fire house in Pittsville was bought by someone who has made it into a nice restaurant. How much did they pay for it and how does it compare in size? This a much larger building and has whole lot better location, so it should be quite valuable.

And why not use it for the "City Hall" if the current office space isn't good enough for the mayor, who wants to build one?

joe albero said...

Thanks so much for the support. Truthfully, I would hope the main support would come from the Fire Fighters in the end. My reasoning behind that is, it's their home away from home. I respect the fact that they would love to see it restored and I'd be honored to do so and even make them peoud.

More importantly though, we must respect Debbie Campbell's wishes for additional research. Chief See LIED to Debbie numerous times. They claimed they had an apraisel on the building, it was a LIE! They now admit it was a simple conversation, an off the cuff number was thrown out.

Then there's how much land comes with it. The distance between the old and new station. They claim 1,500 feet. I'm checking into that one. He also claimed that he said it would go up for surplus from the very beginning and that is a flat out lie. I was sitting there several times when the question was asked and the Chief flat out said, I don't know.

Chief See currently cannot stand me because "I" am the ONLY MAN that has ever stood up to his BULLSHIT! He stares me down like I was a HOT woman and he can't keep his eyes off of me whenever I'm around. Squeeze me with your eyes Chief. LOL

Nevertheless, I will deliver something no one else is willing to do. IF someone else wants to step up to the plate, GO FOR IT!

Anonymous said...

Memo Diriker (BEACON) has no expertise whatsoever in real business -- those degrees don't do diddly -- and the proposed theatre would be a disaster.

Anonymous said...

I know personally that Memo does not write those reports; he has grad students who are either getting credits for those reports or getting paid to do research write those reports.

Anonymous said...

you'll just mow it down and piss on the rubble just to spit in the eye of salisbury and its fire department.