Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Formal Apology

At 4:03 this morning I wrote a post that I shouldn’t have. The post, “Dear Greg Bassett” was a bit over the top. For this I apologize.

I had just come home from the Andy Harris victory celebration and I was a little too much “in the moment”. Again I want to apologize to Greg Bassett, Cathy Bassett, Congressman Gilchrest, and all of his fine supporters in the First District.

My remarks towards Cathy Bassett were totally out line. As I have no relationship with Andy Harris other than that of a supporter, any conjecture about Cathy’s future employment prospects (assuming that Andy wins in November AND that Cathy would wish to continue in her current position) was simply that – conjecture.

I have had my quarrels with the “Daily Times” in the past. I have been upset over things said about my Wife, my In-Laws, and me. That said, I was totally wrong behaving in a way which I didn’t appreciate as the recipient. At some point my differences with Mr. Bassett and with the “Daily Times” must end. While we may not agree we need to, at least, behave civilly towards each other.

I was reminded this morning that graciousness in victory is a virtue. I wasn’t very virtuous this morning and I apologize.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

very well said Joe. It shows a lot about you and the type of person you are. I don't know you on a personal level I only know you thru this site. Very nice.....

Anonymous said...

It also shows that you have the good sense to realize that Harris will need Gilchrest's supporters in the general. Let's hope Wayne has the good sense to direct them to Kratovil instead.

Anonymous said...

Joe:

Suggest using this line -- "I'm responsible" -- and then pointing your finger at someone else. That always works for Barrie Tilghman.

Anonymous said...

Losers should not be petulant, winners should not be smug. It's good that you apologized. Your apology shows you are wiser than when you wrote the original post.

Anonymous said...

Anon at 2:26 --

Wayne won't need to do that because it's already a done deal.

Anonymous said...

I voted for Wayne Gilchrest, and it is not easy to see that a good man who served us well lose his election. But to insinuate that as a result, my vote can be brokered in a political chess match by any candidate is childish & offensive.

Not Wayne nor anyone else owns my vote or that of any voter. To brag that our votes are part of a "deal" is not very smart.

At Least Albero here was big enough to appologize. I hope some amongst us who voted for Wayne can be a little more tactful about what they say.

Pocomoke voter

Tim Chaney said...

I never said Wayne wasn't a likeable person, however just because he was on environmental committees, doesn't mean he was doing everything possible.

Why would his office staff tell me that the Federal EPA doesn't have jurisdiction over the MDE? The polluting of the Wicomico river runs into the Chesapeake Bay and the impact goes beyond Maryland.

The 16 years he has been in congress the bay's health has declined every year. That's was his report card for me.

Anonymous said...

And that civility is important on both sides. It just seems that the powers that be are so inherently evil that they wring out every last bit of bitterness among us. It would be good to believe that we can find harmony here and there. So working at least on the issues in which we can agree will at least foster trust and hope.