Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Not Everyone Has High Speed Internet Access

While I am attempting once again to navigate The Daily Times Website, I have been sitting for literally 15 minutes to get to my second page choice and it's just so damn slow I can't stand it.

When I attempt to pull up their Site, the first 10 minutes I sit waiting until a small pop up advertising screen finally arrives and of course I immediately close that screen and await for what seems like forever for their home page to come up.

Then when I see something I'm interested in and click on it, well, there goes another 5 minute wait. Now I know I've mentioned this before but I have to ask all of you, is this any way of running a business?

Honest to God, I have never in my entire lifetime had to wait so long for any single Website. Technology has changed over the past 10 years to speed up even Dial Up Users yet the Daily Times couldn't care less?

As far as I'm concerned, they're losing business and for those who are paying for advertising, you're losing your rear ends because for those Dial Up Users we're deleting you before you ever get the chance to show who you are.

Oh well, perhaps this is yet another reason why I should start up a new Site that will actually compete and sell advertising? I can assure you of one thing. Even though it's just GA and I right now, we'd be sure to have someone running this Site that would accommodate EVERYONE and not just High Speed Customers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try using Firefox instead of IE. That seems to work faster for me.

Anonymous said...

Use Firefox, and get the AdBlockPlus extension. Subscribe to the Easy List. This will strip out almost all online ads that you encounter. It's easy enough to block out the few that you see for even better surfing. On dial up, this will be a life saver.


www.adblockplus.org

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, why not get satellite service for your internet? I understand its way faster than dial-up, and comparable to DSL.

joe albero said...

We tried that immediately after we moved here. IT SUCKED! Even the satellite company agreed while we still have one computer downstairs on dial up and the other upstairs on satellite. They charged $1,200.00 just to set the SOB up too and then it had a high monthly charge to boot. So take it from someone who installed it, it's not worth a damn and they had to remove the entire thing. I felt horrible for the company installing it too because they truly believed it would be faster.

Then take days like today. If it's raining or snowing, no Internet! No thanks, I'll stick with what I have.