Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Attorney Art Webster Disbarred Monday

Local Attorney, Art Webster was disbarred by the Court of Appeals this past Monday. Chris Llinus was also disbarred a little more than a year ago. They aren't the first, and they won't be the last.

I guess the real question is, why they cross the line in the first place? You would think having spent most of their careers seeing the results of poor choices made by their clients would be enough to keep them on the straight and narrow. Nope! I guess when you spend the majority of your day being paid to lie and win, you just might start believing your invincible.

While I know of plenty of wonderful, giving, honest attorneys that strive to make a difference in their own small segment of the world, I also know their alter egos. They will lie and cheat their clients out of money and still manage to sleep soundly at night. Not returning their clients phone calls, making up bills depending on which way the wind happens to be blowing that day, spending about 5 minutes on a case just prior to walking into the courtroom, and getting involved with your clients makes you one of the bad guys. Those attorneys, and they know who they are, are the reason so many of the rest of the population hate all attorneys.

So do yourself a big favor. Instead of covering up for those bad apples in your field of work. How about putting pressure on them to clean up their acts? You would think that Associations like the Barr Association would rather weed out the bad apples to improve their overall reputations rather then allowing things to come to a boil before doing anything. I know Art isn't the only local attorney that could use a reprimand.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, any knowledge as to why he was disbarred?

Anonymous said...

If you were a "real" newspaper or media source, some modicum of ethics might compel you to mention that Art Webster was YOUR attorney for a time, and sold you the building you currently own just past the end of the Downtown Plaza. But it seems, as much as you like to posture at being real news source (albeit an amazingly inaccurate one much of the time) I guess you feel that the bothersome "ethics" part doesn't really have to be observed by you. Just the way the disbarred attorneys didn't feel the rules applied to them. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

There is a means for addressing grievances of clients represented by bad lawyers called The Attorney Grievance Commission. This does actually frighten a few lawyers.

bob p

Anonymous said...

I nominate Paul Wilber to be the next to be disbarred. Look at the legal decisions he's made that don't truly represent his client's interests and what he's cost his client, first to give the bad advice, then charges them to defend it in court and loses.

crug said...

morality, eighter a person,country has it or they dont. once its out of the way you are free to chase this ridiculous american dream, hes no differant than most you meet.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the only differance between you and Art is that he was getting paid and you don't! LOL

Anonymous said...

Yes, let's think about Wilber. He is a likely candidate for the Grievance Commission, but who's going to file against him? All it takes is a filing to start the ball rolling. Then the Commission does its investigative work on the matter.

joe albero said...

anonymous 9:40,

I'm not out there ripping people off of money, especially from people in a time of their life when emotions have the best of you. I'm not taking what's left of their lifetime financial stability, all under the pretense of alleged legal help.

Divorce, personal injury, DUI, the list goes on and on. Attorneys promise, we'll help you, then buddy up with the opposing attorney for a settlement in most cases and the attorney never performs what he was paid to do in the first place. The CLIENT is the one who almost always loses and the attorneys walk away with people's life savings while the client walks away broke.

So PLEASE do NOT cry about MY code of ethics and what I do. This Blog is out there for EVERYONE to see another side. Once again, where else will you read about ANYONE willing to take on some of these attorneys? NOWHERE!

Without kissing anyone's ass, believe me, there are some wonderful, fantastic attorneys out there. When someone finds them, hold onto them and be friendly with them for the rest of you life or theirs because they're few and far between.

Chimera said...

Hee heee-now that I have that out of my system....
Sorry,he represented a former associate of mine in a ridiculous civil suit against me-needless to say the judge saw right thru it and dismissed it.(I made 45k a yr and the person suing me couldnt keep a job-get the picture?)

Anonymous said...

I do not want to get into an argument with anybody. I got what I deserved from the Court of Appeals. I have no complaints. But the "anonymous" commenter who claimed I was Joe's attorney is completely wrong. I did sell Joe my building at 300 West Main Street, but I never represented him, nor have I ever given Joe any legal advice.

I do not know Joe very well. But I will say this: I have dealt with a lot of people over the years in a lot of different transactions. Joe Albero is the most honest, most straight forward person I have ever dealt with. Bar none.

Anonymous said...

Is Art Webster still in Salisbury?
Does anyone know his whereabouts?

Anonymous said...

Slum lord

Anonymous said...

In prison