Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Be Careful Who You Do Business With

Dranddad Said...... Several months ago I tried to buy a property which had been foreclosed by Countrywide bank. I tried to write an offer and the real estate agent told me that Countrywide would only accept an offer with a pre-approval letter from Countrywide. I then called Countrywide and asked them to clarify. I advised them that I used the Farmers Bank of Willards and Hebron Savings Bank and that I would provide a pre-appoval letter from one of them. The male loan officer stated that the offer must be accompanied by a letter from Countrywide - even if I was going to use another bank. They further advised me that they would issue the letter for a "non refundable fee" of $1000.00 for which I would receive a credit at settlement if I chose to use their bank for the mortgage. I advised them that they were engaging in illegals business practices by requiring someone to use their bank. I asked for the name of the agent and his official capacity. They were quickly learning that I hadn't just fallen off the turnip truck. He stated that he would talk to his supervisor and call me back. That call never came. I called them back and spoke to a female agent who stated that the other agent must have been mistaken. Right. I purchased that property using my bank without the letter from Countrywide. Got a good deal on it. Today, I came across this website. http://www.countrywidehomeloansucks.com/contact_me.htm. The site lists some information your viewers may want to know if looking for a mortgage co.

No comments: