Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Times Are Changing, Daily

There used to be a day when you were told your letter to the editor could take weeks to publish. Today, that's a whole different story. I have been told personally at 3:00 in the afternoon, "well, we're not going to make it into tomorrow's paper." INTERESTING!

People have become so fed up with the Daily Times that they won't even write in any more and leave letters to the editor. If you'll notice over the past few weeks there have been fewer and fewer letters printed and today is yet another prime example.

IMO, the Blogs have taken so much away from the Daily Times credibility that people aren't interested in their kind of news any more. The Blogs produce information MUCH faster than the Daily Times, even the on line version.

The Daily Times has also borrowed an unbelievable amount of stories only produced on the Blogs first. It's an easy format for them to follow. They sit back, read the stories on the Blogs to get an idea for stories of their own with their own twists to it and the next thing you know, (two or three days later) you'll read about it in the Times.

It's a complement in my book. There are VERY FEW local stories you'll read in The Daily Times that wasn't on the Blogs. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that there have been many a times I called my contacts at the Times to get off their a** and come to a story they weren't aware of. However, this has never happened in return since I've owned my own Blog. "Don't ever forget where you came from." I doubt I'll be sharing any more inside information with some of my contacts there any more because they are so desperate and forgetful.

The Daily Times is slipping very quickly and they probably won't last more than another year. I'm glad more people are choosing to express themselves on the Blogs these days verses grapevines and letters to the editor.

No comments: