Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

These Divers Were Clueless!


Iyeska tipped me off today when she saw divers going into the River right next to Brew River. A Tug Boat was having mechanical proplems docked next door and they had a Diver in the water trying to see if he could locate the problem.

What they didn't know was that they were not supposed to be in the water. WHY, you might ask? Because there are NO signs anywhere to be seen anywhere around that area telling you it's restricted!

By the time I arrived, (after Iyeska forewarned these gentlemen of the danger) they had bolted out of the water and weren't too pleased! Is there another lawsuit in the making against the City? Or will they claim since it was in the paper they're in the clear? News at 11:00!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh boy, I asked everyone of the elected officials WHO was going to post signs notifying the public the rever was not safe. I think I have a response from Mr. Pushkar telling me that was a local responsibility. hmmmm let me see if I can find that email. BRB

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

My answer from Mr. Pushkar, check out his comments on who is responsible for warning signs.

Thank you for your email. The recent spill from last week is being investigated. As required by regulation, the Maryland Department of the Environment is expecting a written response from the City regarding the cause and other factors related to the spill. When that information is received, the Department will make a decision as to whether there should be any penalties levied against the City.
The City is not ignoring state law. The City is in the process of upgrading the wastewater treatment plant and this spill occurred while
crews were working to improve the pumps in the pump station.
Regarding your last concern, the Department is not responsible for posting signs when a sewage spill occurs. That responsibility falls to the owner of the facility that generated the discharge. There should be signs posted by the City at public access points warning of the current condition of the River.
I assure you that the Department has been monitoring the City's activities through this upgrade and if it is determined that this spill was avoidable, there will be another penalty issued to the City.
Thank you again for your email on this very important issue. I hope that I have addressed your concerns.
Dave Pushkar

David J. Pushkar, Division Chief
Maryland Department of the Environment
407 Race Street
Cambridge, Maryland 21613
410-901-4020
dpushkar@mde.state.md.us

Anonymous said...

When someone starts a sentence with "I assure you that" I hear, "screw off and leave me alone, you don't know what you are talking about". Mr. Pushkar has gone to the bottom of my list, I hate getting patronized. Inquiring minds want to know: If Mr. Pushkar's department is in fact monitoring the activities then why didn't they see that there was insufficient signage to warn these divers before they jumped into our beautiful Sewercomico?