Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, June 26, 2020

Dear White People: Please Do Not Read Robin DiAngelo’s “White Fragility”

A destructive book full of bad reasoning and bad advice is topping the bestseller charts

On June 5th, Jonathan Capehart wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post entitled, “Dear White People, Please Read ‘White Fragility’.” In it, he writes that Robin DiAngelo, the book’s author, “forces white people to see and understand how white supremacy permeates their lives and to recognize how they perpetuate it. More importantly, she shows them what they can do to change themselves and dismantle this pernicious system.”

In the wake of George Floyd’s tragic death, race in America has shot to the top of the headlines. It comes as no surprise, then, that books like White Fragility and How to Be an Anti-Racist, as Jeffrey Trachtenberg noted this week in the Wall Street Journal, “are among many titles related to racial issues leading Amazon’s bestseller list.”

Will these books help?

Unfortunately, the answer is no.

More

10 comments:

anonymous said...

I was at the Wawa in Easton several weeks back, and I withdrew some cash from the atm. I went into the bathroom to quickly wash my hands. As I was leaving a younger black kid said, Cool glasses. Hey come here a second," beckoning me to follow him back into the bathroom. I stated I do not follow invitations into restrooms, especially when I knew he didn't really care about my glasses and saw me at the ATM. He said, " For real, I need some money to get back to Dover." "So you wanted me to follow you into the rest room, so you could take the money from me, instead of this, when it is not just you and me alone. Nope. I withdrew the money not to give it away. I need my money too. Sorry" Don't ever use a convenience store atm. Especially at Wawa. I guess that's racist, but he would have done everything to take that money from me in the restroom if I followed him.

Anonymous said...

The very second I hear the term "Dear white people" I know it's going to be an odious, racially-paranoid, white-hating diatribe. From adult-babies who need their diapers changed.

Anonymous said...

Total bullsh*t.

Anonymous said...

904
Thanks for the heads up
Especially in Easton, Cambridge, or SBY

Anonymous said...

Momma said don't talk to strangers 💩

Anonymous said...

That's exactly why I have began to carry concealed 12:28. That young black boy could have followed you into the bathroom after you used the ATM, since you say he saw you use it. Apparently he wasn't smart enough for that but thought he could lure you back in. You should have used the bathroom first, then the ATM. I try to be very aware of the people around me everytime I use an ATM.

Anonymous said...

Any person who is White that reads this book isn't very intelligent. Any book that tells WHITE PEOPLE to bow down to Black's is asinine, factless, and toilet paper. Maybe I'll write a book about how blacks should act in everyday life. How not to be and act stupid. It will be called

BLACK IS WRONG. WHITE IS RIGHT.
The blacks struggle to be civilized

Anonymous said...

What they term "white fragility" is white people pointing out the obvious double standards of "cancel culture." Do not apologize for being white (something you have no control over). Ever.

Anonymous said...

Northwest Woodsman: Good grief! Why is it so difficult to admit what you see before you every day when you encounter Scandinavians? Can you not see that they are truly different and not like a darker reflection of you in a mirror? They are the basis for most of the problems with violence in this country and other countries such as England and France. It is a universal issue and I have personally experienced the problems in several countries. So few are honest, decent and hard working that statistically, they are like a speck of dust that is of no significance. Please challenge me and refute my comment with facts and not emotional drivel. I’d love to be wrong about this but I am a realist with little capacity for egalitarian emotion.

Anonymous said...

I believe in white privilege when I see parking lots with sighs stating “Parking Reserved For White People Only “.