Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, November 11, 2019

VETERANS 'UNCOMFORTABLE' WITH 'THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE,' ASK FOR MORE CIVILIAN SUPPORT THIS VETERANS DAY

Almost half of U.S. veterans and active service members feel uncomfortable with being thanked for their service, a new survey has revealed.

According to a poll commissioned by the Cohen Veterans Network (CVN), a national not-for-profit network of mental health clinics for post-9/11 veterans and military families, 49 percent of active and former members of the armed services feel uneasy with the expression "Thank you for your service."

It comes as 91 percent Americans used the expression, according to the survey, and as the country prepares to commemorate its former military service members on Monday for Veterans Day.

"I feel very uncomfortable when civilians say thank you for your service, because I don't know what to say back," said a veteran employed at a Cohen Clinic in Washington.

More

5 comments:

bob pinto said...

For those who feel uncomfortable, my speaking as a veteran, just smile and be polite. If you have bad feelings , suck it up. If we were unrecognized for service, then people would still be upset.

Sometimes I ask for veterans' discount when it's available, sometimes not.

It was my honor to serve in the military and I'm not announcing that.

Anonymous said...

I say thank you for protecting America and freedom of speech.

Jon E. Jrr. said...

I just say it was an honor. Jon E. Jrr.

Anonymous said...


As a veteran I was too at first, especially being a Vietnam vet. But as I processed it, I realized that most were just thankful that some of us have been willing to do what was necessary to defend our freedom.. and so now I just say "You're welcome. I'm glad I could serve. Thank you for your kindness."

But I also especially like the idea of urging the younger ones to help us all continue to preserve the freedoms that so many gave their lives to protect and preserve. Though they may not always agree with what they hear, they need to preserve the rights that allow them to express those feelings without ending up in a 're-education camp' like the ones in China and elsewhere.

And to all of you who are thankful for veterans' service-- thank YOU for recognizing the value of what we fought and sacrificed for.

Please continue to pray for America and our leaders. That is one of the best things we can all do to serve.

Anonymous said...


" [Vice President Mike] Pence told the story of Medal of Honor recipient Kyle Carpenter who recalled a moment that an Uber driver thanked him for his service, to which Carpenter replied, “You’re worth it.”

That's class. And a great answer!