Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

A record 5.7 billion robocalls in October alone

Americans were flooded with a record 5.7 billion robocalls last month — more than 17 per person in October — even as federal regulators try to crack down on the onslaught of prerecorded messages.

The all-time monthly high not only represents a 25% jump from the month prior, but puts the U.S. on track for a blockbuster year in robocalls, according to a report from robocall-blocking app YouMail. With 49 billion robocalls tracked thus far this year, Americans have already received more robocalls than all of last year.

"October's record robocall volume reminds us there's a long way to go before the robocall problem is solved," Alex Quilici, YouMail CEO, said in a statement. "It's hard to imagine, but we are still on pace to wind up with nearly 60 billion calls to U.S. consumers this year."

More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The greatest part of having an iphone with the latest software. If rhe caller isn’t in my contacts, they get sent to voicemail and my phone doesn’t ring.

Anonymous said...

You can check your email from your watch while orbiting the Earth, but phone companies still can't find out who is the source of these robo-calls. Come on, man!!

Anonymous said...

These calls are making cell phones less attractive to consumers.

Anonymous said...

All the robo calls i get are for my cars warranty. Also it should be legal to blow an air horn into the receiver when a live telemarketer calls.

Anonymous said...

This is a huge industry, like flavored vapes, if we shut it down it would harm the economy

Anonymous said...

I get them at work all day. I have to answer the phone so not sure if it is legit or a robo-call. We don't have the resources to waste time on this crap. They usually call when I am in the middle of helping someone else. its straight-up harassment !

Anonymous said...

I had them spoof my number and call some random person, who proceeded in texting me a nasty message asking what the f*ck I wanted and why I was calling. I had to text back to give him the scoop on what was going on. Never heard back so I guess he figured it out !

Anonymous said...

They from from Ukraine and Biden Jr. !!!

Anonymous said...

My present count for October is 383 robo calls. No help from Verizon or FCC.
Its never going to stop...

Anonymous said...

I just got the VM yesterday (again) that told me my SS# has been fraudulently used and I would go to jail if I didn't call the "800" number back immediately. I can't believe people fall for that crap.