Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, June 10, 2019

I took out $40K in student loans. It’s my responsibility to pay it back.

Actions have consequences.

It is a phrase we have heard many times, often with a negative connotation following a misstep in life, but it can also refer to something positive.

As a recent college grad, I have a mountain of debt to pay off, about $40,000 and some change. But on the flipside, I have a college degree now. It was an exchange I agreed to knowingly. It was a price I was — and am — willing to pay.

Later this month the first debate of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary will feature a long list of candidates vying for the nomination, and I expect every single one of them to pander to young voters like me, promising to pay off my college debt or just forgive it.

That’s an insult to me. I took out student loans. To not pay them back myself would be dishonest and immoral. Again, actions have consequences.

Last month I graduated from Franciscan University of Steubenville, a small Catholic institution nestled in the Ohio River valley. It was the culmination of a four-year journey that was one of the best experiences of my life and came with a lot of personal growth.

But when I made the decision as a senior in high school to attend this university, I accepted a responsibility — I am morally accountable to pay for the education I would benefit from, and that I agreed to pay for.

I knew how expensive it was when I signed on the dotted line...


More here


[Refreshing. --Editor]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same as if I run up $40.000 on my CC I better pay it back.

Anonymous said...

so many haven't pd it back though!

Anonymous said...

Look! A college grad with his head screwed on straight!!

Anonymous said...

So the Baby Boomers’ parents are patriotic and recognize that infrastructure and public welfare costs money, and dutifully pay tax rates that too out somewhere between 55-90% throughout the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Then, they reap the benefits of their parents’ sacrifice by getting low cost educations in the 70s and 80s, and repay it by turning around and slashing their own tax rates in half starting in the 80s through now. Which, of course, cripples college funding and forces students to take out disproportionately large student loans. Not only that, the Boomers wreck the economy in 08-09 so these millennials with high debt loads can barely find jobs to pay off the loans. But sure, let’s act like it’s all millenials’ responsibility. If it’s one thing Boomers are good at, it’s passing the buck.

Anonymous said...

the franciscans huh? did they touch you?

Anonymous said...

Obviously a conservative.

Anonymous said...

Either they ALL pay back their loans Or Send the rest of us


for FREE tooo !!! We , who were too poor to go !!!

Anonymous said...

Northwest Woodsman: So you have a 40k debt for a worthless piece of paper which certifies that you have withstood four years of Marxist democrat indoctrination Congratulations! Now take your journalism or feminist studies degree and try to find a real job. I’d be willing to bet he is unable to locate any country on a globe without help, provide the years in which the civil war was fought, name any of the founders of the country, define who the major participants in WWII were, who Joseph Stalin was and what the First and Second Ammendments are about. Probably can’t name the current Vice President and is unable to briefly describe the criminal behavior of Hillary Clinton. Again, Congratulations!