Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, March 09, 2019

Block Play Builds Math Skills, Boosts Complex Thinking In Preschoolers, Study Finds

Preparing preschoolers for kindergarten can be a source of fear and excitement among young parents. Many find themselves wondering: “Is my child ready?” New research shows that one brain-boosting building block to school readiness is semi-structured block play.

Researchers at Purdue University say that preschool children who spend time in semi-structured block play experience improvement in two important skills for their jump to kindergarten: mathematics and executive functioning.

“As an early childhood expert, I feel like I’m constantly being asked by parents and teachers, ‘What can I do with my child to support their school readiness skills?’” says Sara Schmitt, an assistant professor in the university’s Department of Human Development and Family Studies, in a media release. “What I find myself saying a lot, among other things, is block play. But there’s actually not a lot of empirical evidence to support this statement, particularly with regard to mathematics and executive functioning development. That’s why I wanted to do this study: I wanted to understand if these suggestions I was making to parents and teachers were actually valid.”

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best toys I ever had were Lincoln Logs and some large cardboard "bricks" that we would build things with. I agree that toys that have a child use imagination and creativity are the best.

Anonymous said...

Give some to AOC AND Omar.

Anonymous said...

There are many adults who could benefit from some block play. Every seat in Congress should have a set.

Anonymous said...

LEGOS....the best!