Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Breaching The Public Trust - Facebook Is The Beginning

Last night I was chatting with a friend while waiting for my daughter. She told me her phone now informs her when her bills are due. Now, that may not seem like a big deal, but it is when you realize that she never told her phone to do that.

Her phone is scanning her emails and letting her know her when her electric bill is due.

I told her Google likely pushed down an update which she agreed to without realizing it (or getting the opportunity to opt-out of) which authorized them to not only scan her inbox but set up alerts for her.

She was angry about it, and rightfully so.

This is why I don’t use any of the Google apps on my Android phone. Outlook for email, Opera for my browser. Office for my productivity apps. It was a conscious choice. I moved to Android under protest because Microsoft willfully destroyed Windows Phone.

I know it’s not much better, but at least Microsoft appreciates my business, now, for the first time in their miserable existence.

And I wasn’t willing to shell out $600+ for a comparable iPhone. Pennywise and pound-foolish, I know, but no one’s perfect.

As a hardware-savvy guy I know when software is over-burdening hardware and why.

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats just yhe tip of tbe iceberg. Now your own TV can watch you and listen to your conversation. Your appliances and gaming system van also do the same. Its true your home is bugged and unless your a total technical guy there is nothing you can do about it.

Anonymous said...

The GOVT is the Worst Breach of Public Trust !!!!

Anonymous said...

4:33 AM - Not if you only buy lower-end, non-connected appliances.

Anonymous said...

Nothing to worry about if you aren't doing anything illegal. Just like dui checkpoint\s and ICE checkpoints, right!?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
4:33 AM - Not if you only buy lower-end, non-connected appliances.

March 28, 2018 at 11:03 AM

How would you know?

Anonymous said...

All technology is being used to enslave the population
the intelligence agencies know exactly what they are doing.
These are some of the most intelligent people on the planet.