Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 22, 2018

A Drug Problem?

At my 50th high school reunion, a friend asked me,
"Why didn't we have a drug problem when we were growing up?"

I replied that I had a drug problem when I was young:

I was drug to church on Sunday morning.

I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the pastor.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's or grandma's garden and flower beds.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behaviour in everything I do, say, or think.

They are stronger than cocaine, crack or heroin, and if today's children had this kind of drug problem, this country would be a better place.

Thank God for our parents and grandparents who drugged us!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

How true

Anonymous said...

Aaah, the good old days.

Anonymous said...

Very well said!

Anonymous said...

If parents did some of those things today, they would be brought up on child abuse charges.

SBJ

Anonymous said...

Thank you mom and dad for loving me enough to always be there for me.

Anonymous said...

Devil's Advocate here: No child should be "drug" anywhere. It is demeaning and a form of abuse.

Anonymous said...

We had a drug problem 40 years ago. Everyone I knew was smoking dope, hash, PCP. snorting THC, Cocaine, popping pills.
Society looked the other way then.
Few and far between was a day in high school when we did not show up stoned.

Anonymous said...

Devil's Advocate here: No child should be "drug" anywhere. It is demeaning and a form of abuse.

February 22, 2018 at 8:56 AM;

Wow, that comment is sure to draw the ire of all the child beating rednecks that think it is their right to abuse their kids.

Anonymous said...

Don't get in an uproar people .
The person was just using the word
Druged to correlate with Drugs.

I was made to go to functions I
didn't really want to go to ,
especially church. Now, Thank
God, I still attend because of
my Mother knowing the importance
of religion in our lives. Morals,
Values were instilled in us.
Was I "drugged" along , No, I was
made to go , without any backlash
from me. Think this is more of
what the writer of the article is
getting at so Lighten up !

Anonymous said...

Dragging your kids to an event or making them do things for their own good is NOT child abuse. It's parenting.
If we let kids do whatever they want to do, there will be more school shootings, etc.
Morals start at home. it's where we learn right from wrong. the first rule of a mom or dad is to parent. Being a friend is second.
If you get them backward, your kids will be spoiled brats with poor moral compass.

Anonymous said...

at 11:21 AM;

February 22, 2018 at 9:14 AM was speaking to you....

Anonymous said...

That is what these kids need now!

Anonymous said...

Get over yourself. Can't believe you took that word literally. Snow flake.