Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, January 15, 2018

Racism Is Real, But So Were Martin Luther King Jr. and My Grandma

Racism is a very real topic right now, and not just because of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday. Looking up his quotes is definitely important too, but not just because they’re something to share on #mlkday. Let me tell you a story to explain.

I wrote a civil rights report while I was in high school. Because of my black heritage, it was more than just another assignment. I decided to write about a talk I once had with my grandmother, Curlee Johnson, who was born in 1900 and lived until 1993. She had literally lived through every major event in our recent history. When I asked about her memories of Martin Luther King Jr., anyone could’ve seen that sparkle in her eye.

As she began talking about Dr. King, I was transported to a time I’d only read about. I respected anyone who’d fought for equal rights, and I knew the history. Yet, as I listened to my grandmother, I started to feel the pain of the hate and persecution which marked that time. As a young black man, I honestly didn’t know how to cope with what she had walked through. I was offended, hurt, and confused. She was one of the most loving people I’ve ever known. Why would she have to fight to be loved back? This same lady who would just give random people walking down the street a good home-cooked meal couldn’t eat in the same restaurant as people who looked a little different. As she was talking, she suddenly stopped and I felt something change about the room.

She looked at me right in the face..

More here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

MLK banged so many young girls, he would be ostracized today with #metoo movement.

Anonymous said...

Racism is only real in the minds of racist. And that’s on both sides
It was a thing of the past until we had the Muslim half black president

Anonymous said...

If MLK were alive today the Democrats would call him an Uncle Tom.

Anonymous said...

All Races Favor their Own Race , So ALL are Racists , so

All may as well Quit Wining .........Fact !!!!!

It always Has and always Will be that way ...Not Changing !!

Anonymous said...

10:20 exactly. we cannot go through a day without hearing someone claim racism yet beyond some rare cases you don't really see the actual events.