Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, December 02, 2017

Media figures apologize, sort of, for sexual misconduct

For the second time in two weeks, a high-profile media personality apologized for alleged sexual misconduct, but with a caveat: All or none of the accusations may be true, possibly.

Ousted NBC “Today” anchor Matt Lauer released a statement Thursday responding to claims by multiple female colleagues who said he sexually assaulted them.

“To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry,” the statement said, effectively admitting his guilt. But then he created room for some deniability.

“Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized,” the statement said, “but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed.” Lauer did not dispute any specific allegations, which include giving a sex toy to a colleague as a gift and telling her how he wanted her to use it and having sex with an unwilling coworker in his office.

A similar episode played out last week when veteran TV journalist Charlie Rose was removed as the anchor of CBS’s “This Morning” when he, too, faced accusations related to inappropriate behavior.

On Nov. 20, the day Rose was accused, he released a statement that said, “In my 45 years of journalism, I have prided myself on being an advocate for the careers of the women with whom I have worked. Nevertheless, in the past few days, claims have been made about my behavior toward some former female colleagues.”

More

No comments: