The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

New Generation Of Transgender Americans Wants To Change Laws, Not Just Minds

In the kitchen of a small colonial house in Springfield, Mass., Edanry Rivera and Louis Mitchell do-si-do around a coffee maker, handing off the creamer and reaching for a refill.

"Coffee is the lifeblood of my very existence," says Louis Mitchell, 57, a bald transgender man with a graying goatee.

Mitchell owns this home. Rivera, a 27-year-old trans woman, rents a room. Many days, to avoid scoffs, stares and physical threats, Rivera never leaves the house.

"Once I step out there, it's war, sometimes, with people," Rivera says.

Like the day recently when Rivera came under attack, in the grocery checkout line, from some other Puerto Rican women. They left, telling Rivera, "you better watch out when you go outside," she recalls. Rivera works from home, as a marketing writer, to limit such encounters.


Anonymous said...

Deportation time.

Anonymous said...

So in effect our schools have condemed our children to hell and indoctrinated them to satanic ideals. Us old school types just see it for what it is a mental disorder.

Anonymous said...

So we are to change laws for 0.01% of the population to control the minds of the other 99.99 percent? If I am not mistaken that is the percentage estimate of the population which transgender, in most societies a percentage that low would constitutute abnormal behavior, just saying.

Anonymous said...

There is no such thing as "Transgender". You are defined by your chromosomal DNA. Born XY, you will die XY. Born XX, you will die XX.

Everything else is lipstick on the proverbial pig.

Anonymous said...

In a word...NO

Anonymous said...

The rest of us are fine with he/she/it staying home and away from us. That is how is should be.

Anonymous said...

Just because the government says we have to accept you, does not mean we will. The government does not run our lives. So stay cooped up in your little room. Don't expect us to change just for you.