Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, November 26, 2017

A Viewer Writes: Social Security and Your Money

By: Alan R. Bowmaster

Like most of you, I have been paying into Social Security ever since I started working. For me that was at the age of fourteen. I am 59 now and that means, they have been taking a portion of my income for forty-four years. If you are so inclined, you can figure out exactly what you have paid I over the years. I have looked at mine and I started paying in since 1973.

I personally have paid Forty, three thousand dollars with an equal contribution form my employers. If you ad interest to that for forty-four years, it is not a bad chunk of change. And many of us want to know where that money is, and we all know that congress has decided that they could spend some of that money supporting “non-citizens” however you are not supposed to know this.

Guess what you are supporting “non-citizens” and if that were not the case why would they require the following provision and I quote.

“In most cases, we stop payments to noncitizens after they are outside the United States for six calendar months in a row. If we stop your payments, we will not start them again until you return to the United States and remain for a full calendar month. We may
continue to pay benefits to noncitizens outside of the United States if they meet certain conditions.

Additionally, if you are in an SSA-restricted country, we can only send payment to you under restricted conditions if you qualify for an exception. Use our Payments Abroad Screening Tool to find out if you can continue to get benefits while outside the United States.”

I copied that provision directly from the Social Security web site, it took less than three minutes to find it. Now if the “non-citizen” put nothing in, why are they collecting anything at all.

Who decided to give your money away to people that never paid in a dime? And if this is not enough to infuriate you perhaps this is, again I have taken this directly from the Social Security Website.

Many noncitizens living in the U.S. can get Social Security benefits

Being a U.S. citizen isn't a requirement for receiving Social Security. According to the Social Security Administration, noncitizens who are "lawfully in the United States and meet all eligibility requirements" can get benefits. That includes not only those admitted for permanent residence under the Immigration and Nationality Act, but also those who qualify under provisions for family unity and for immediate relatives to live within the U.S. as well.

Even noncitizens who leave the U.S. can still get Social Security benefits under certain circumstances

Typically, the SSA stops making payments to noncitizens after they have remained outside the U.S. for six months in a row. In order to restart those payments, though, all you have to do is return to the U.S. for a full calendar month.

Moreover, the U.S. has international agreements with a number of countries under which noncitizens can keep getting Social Security even if they live abroad permanently. Most of the countries covered under those provisions are in Europe, but others include Australia, Canada, Japan, Chile, and South Korea. For more information on particular countries, take a look at this SSA website for specifics.

As for me, I have had some very serious health issues as of late, and I have been treated like a thief by the Social Security Administration. They are late, on a regular basis. Deductions taken out long before you are notified. They decide how much money you need to live on. And without missing a beat will tell you to sell any assets “they”
consider to be non-essential.

It is time to stand up to a system that considers us inconsequential and we pay them to do this. Remember, of the people by the people and for the people.

Are you pissed yet? If so and I hope you are, contact your congressman and Local Senator, this must stop.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Now if the “non-citizen” put nothing in, why are they collecting anything at all."

Why do you assume that the non citizen didn't put anything in. If an alien permanent resident (ie non citizen with a green card) works in this country then they pay into social security along with the company that hires them just like you did.

Anonymous said...

12:16. I completely agree. Further, even non-citizens working under Visa programs who have not even received their green card pay into Social Security as well as paying Federal, State and Local taxes.

lmclain said...

Absolutely the stuff of revolution and revolt.
Your slimy "leaders" have TAKEN THE CASH and replaced it with bonds!
Every month.
And note to cheerleaders -- you are not going to be seeing your money.
It's been stolen in a Ponzi scheme. The same one YOU get sent to prison for YEARS, maybe life, if YOU do it.
They run for re-election. And you VOTE FOR THEM!!!
They work part time and travel the world. You go to jail.

How stupid are you??

Keep cheering.

Anonymous said...

Bull crap 12:16. How can "they" afford to go out of the country, I have been here all my life and can't afford to visit another state without harm to my budget. I am retired, worked hard and am tired of being a second class citizen.

Anonymous said...

1:22 lighten up,just because you didn't save any money doesn't mean nobody else did.

Anonymous said...

1:22 This is 12:16 what does your statement "how can they afford to go out of the country..." have to do with anything I wrote in my comment. You don't make any sense. By the way I agree with 2:10. I lived and worked a median middle class existence all my life and retired and have been out of the country 4 times in the last 7 years. Japan, Germany, Canada and Mexico.

Anonymous said...

I see a lot of these comments don't get it. Why do the Politians spend our savings we put into SSI on what ever they want. If you are an immigrant legal and has not paid into SSI or illegal immigrant why are you eligible to get what I put into SSI? Also why did the Democrats and Bill Clinton eliminate the SSI fund and put it in the general budget so they can freely spend it. These crooked Politians vote in their own salaries, benefits and length of their holidays but do not give the ones that deserve SSI a living wage.

Anonymous said...

"...and have been out of the country 4 times in the last 7 years. Japan, Germany, Canada and Mexico."

Sorry, 2:45, but Mexico doesn't count as a foreign country. It's kind of like the basement or cellar for Texas.

Anonymous said...

And that is not all. I am a US citizen, worked all my life, starting at about eighteen and continuing until about 6 years ago. I am 57 now. Six years ago I started getting really, really severe headaches. About 5 times worse than migraines. I already had the migraines and managed to work through most of them. These new kinds of headaches had me waking up vomiting every day the pain was so bad. I could no longer work full time. I started working part-time because I had one habit left over from my youth. I still liked to eat on occasion. I take several kinds of seizure medicines for the headaches which make me so sleepy I can go to sleep driving the car, the lawnmower, I have even gone to sleep standing up ironing clothes. I get Botox shots in the head and neck and facet injections in my cervical spine. I get all of this stuff so often my immune system revolts and I get shingles. I've had them 6-7 times now in the past 3 years. All that being said, I decided to apply for disability with Social Security. The first time they turned me down they claimed, "we see you do have a condition, we got all of your doctor's evaluations, BUT we think it can be managed with medicine. Have they ever tried to pay for all these medicines working 15 hours a week and still manage to eat on occasion? I appealed the verdict and it went in front of new people supposedly. I was denied again. Guess why now. Because there is nothing wrong with my feet. I am mobile. I can get around. Did I mention I am a bookkeeper? I have never met many people who do books with their feet but if they have a few I guess maybe they could retrain me if I could stay awake for the lessons. So now I have appealed again and now I can wait about 2 years for it to go in front of a judge. This is what they make US citizens go through when we apply for disability-I wonder what they make illegals go through? Burns my butt.

Anonymous said...

2:45 why would anyone with your means go to Mexico? When I get my cookie jar full, I am headed somewhere to get away from Mexico

Anonymous said...

3:24 said: "I see a lot of these comments don't get it... Also why did the Democrats and Bill Clinton eliminate the SSI fund and put it in the general budget so they can freely spend it...".

Sorry 3:24 you are the one that doesn't get it. It wasn't just Bill Clinton and the Democrats that eliminated the SSI fund it was done before that and the Republicans were just as complicit in the change. They did it so they could spend more money without having to raise income tax. At the time SS was taking in more than they were paying out so they were able to spend money without having to borrow more or raise taxes. As to why politicians spend our savings on what ever they want is because we let them.

Anonymous said...

Wait until the GOP tax plan passes and your medicaid gets cut!

Anonymous said...

If I'm denied my SS benefits when I'm old I swear I'll go on a killing spree.

Anonymous said...

5:43 if you are less than 35 now you might as well make your plans because SS won't be there in 30 years.

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget Mr Obama taking social security monies for Obama Care and who knows what else. Yet my husband stated working at 18 and did his duty in the military and retired at 70. He receives the max SS which is less than 3000. Thank God for IRAs.

Anonymous said...

YOU DON'T EVEN WANT TO KNOW what the crooked Gov't does
with OUR Social Security $$$$$.....you would be Furious !!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so IF these "non-citizens" are considered eligible for ANY PAID IN monies to SSA let them WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE 62 to draw a friggin' CENT AND make it MANDATORY that they MUST BE AND REMAIN - LEGALLY - IN THIS COUNTRY to get the money! Maybe those of us that are LEGAL should sue these effers for lump sum distributions of at MINIMUM what WE LEGAL US CITIZENS have paid in PLUS what we worked to have our employers match. I think I understand why people go postal...one word...GOVERNMENT!! I personally as a BORN HERE, BUSTED MY A$$ ALL MY LIFE, PLAYED BY ALL RULES - AM SICK OF THE BULLSH*T AND GOVERNMENT THEFT!! It's well past time for us to take back what belongs to us...