Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, October 07, 2017

LEGENDARY COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 10-7-17

Sandwich Glass

Benjamin’s department store had two major fires throughout its history. The first was in the 1930’s and destroyed the entire store with the exception of the linen and glassware departments. The second was in 1974. My grandfather entered into an arrangement with Benjamin’s after the first fire that he bought the entire site and contents. He then rebuilt the store and sold it back to them. The Benjamin’s store was where the City Center is located now. Of course, he ended up with a lot of linens and a lot of glassware. I was grown before I knew they made towels in any color other than white. That was the downside. The upside was the many boxes of glassware he brought home. They all contained Duncan Miller sandwich glass. This was the original clear crystal glass with the very ornate sandwich pattern. Throughout the years, I have managed to save many pieces from the original stock and have added many more pieces.

Sandwich glass was started by the Duncan Miller Glass Company in 1924. They continued making the original quality until 1955. Throughout the years, two other companies have put out sandwich pattern glass, and it is hard to distinguish from the original. The Indiana Glass Company manufactured it from the late 1920’s until at least the 1980’s and may continue to this day. The Hocking Glass Company produced the clear crystal sandwich pattern in the 1940’s and 1950’s. The distinguishing feature is on any piece with a ring on the bottom. The original pieces will have a very flat ring whereas any other piece has a more rounded ring.

As with any collectible, you should get a good reference book and get to know what is out there. The original Duncan Miller glass has 138 different pieces listed. Some of them have added to my knowledge of glassware. A flower vase is not a flower vase, but an epergne. They list two different. Live and learn.

Because Benjamin’s sold it, there is a quantity of it around Salisbury and it can be fun to collect. It’s not very practical in this day and age, but it can be a beautiful addition to a corner cupboard or curio cabinet. Sandwich pattern glass is very decorative and, I think, Victorian looking. The adornments of a Victorian home have given way to the electronics of the 21st Century.

Because I drank from so many of the goblets when I was growing up, it is a reminder of my youth. We used the glasses but never used the plates or any of the other pieces. These were preserved in my mother’s and grandmother’s corner cabinets. Now they are preserved in boxes again, except for the few unusual pieces that adorn one shelf in one of my corner cabinets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great post George.If I had collected everything that I've had in my hands over the past 60 years my wife would have divorced me and cited clutter as grounds.You must have a house full.I had forgotten about this particular style of glass,but it is beautiful.

Steve said...

So, I have to ask, what is a "sandwich" pattern?

Anonymous said...

So, as long as we are on a memory trip, does anyone remember Peggy's Stone Bar?