Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, January 27, 2017

IRS Scam Call

Joe,

I just got called by a scammer in the 315 area code, showing up as Adams, NY, (outside of Watertown) telling me in an urgent sounding recording that I or my attorney needed to call a number he gave to deal with IRS prosecution against me.

Of course, it's all baloney, but some people might be sucked in. The IRS NEVER calls any taxpayer for any reason, unless they're returning a call that a taxpayer made, which would be a small miracle if it actually happened.

Please inform your readers that with tax time preparation underway, these scammers will be out there to take advantage of anyone they can.

Publishers Notes: The IRS will NEVER contact you over the phone, PERIOD. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why even answer the phone if you don't recognize the number? Just let it go to voice mail/answering machine. If you don't know the number it is 99% chance bogus/scam.

Anonymous said...

1:16is right. If it's important they will leave a message.

Anonymous said...

I don't know call me silly but I answer a phone when the phone rings and I don't recognize the number only two berate people when they are calling me if they are a scam or a telemarketer...

Anonymous said...

3:14 You're silly!

Anonymous said...

I don't have caller ID. I do not have a cell phone or cable either. My budget cannot justify or pay for these items. My luxury is $19.95 mo internet on a computer with windows 7.

Anonymous said...

3:34 PM you are not alone

Anonymous said...

334, 430, shop around and do like my son does. Phone and internet unlimited for $45. I'm sure you pay more than $20 a month for your landline. Trade your computer for the smart phone.

DUH.