Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Man with pressure cooker in car apologizes, calls actions ‘stupid’

WASHINGTON — The man who owned the pressure cooker destroyed by police during the Memorial Day concert apologized for his actions and said he should have considered the contents of his vehicle before choosing a parking space along the National Mall Sunday evening.

Israel Shimeles, of Alexandria, tells NBC Washington that he understands why the propane tank and pressure cooker, which he uses for work and were left in his vehicle, caused concern and why the U.S. Capitol Police had to destroy the pressure cooker.

“I’m in the belly of the beast. Basically, I parked right in front of the Capitol,” Shimeles tells NBC Washington. “I just happened to be there. I should have thought about it a little bit more.”

More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Security needed to "Cook up" a threat to livin up the weekend.

Anonymous said...

TEST RUN...see if you were paying attention...

Anonymous said...

3:35 pm...Exactly what I was thinking.

Anonymous said...

Who carries a propane tank inside their car? It's not only illegal, but highly dangerous!

Anonymous said...

How is it illegal? I bet suburban propane told you only they could fill your grills bottles huh? I swear. Some people.

Anonymous said...

Go ahead, 501, put a nice full one in your car on your way to work in the morning! When the 10% valve goes off in there as the sun heats up the cab, the next spark will inform you of your intelligence!

Anonymous said...

cant remember the last time i had a pressure cooker and propane tank in my car in front of the capitol, but im sure it has to happen quite often

Anonymous said...

how would people ever get one home if it was illegal? does anyone bother to think anymore?

Anonymous said...

For safety, I always strap my propane tanks too the front bumper, too get it home. And if by chance I'm on my motorcycle, I just drag it behind the bike, it's only a few miles from the store, seems safe too me!!!

Anonymous said...

Having lived in DC the last decade...stuff like this happens. Hell, just check out the dozens of food trucks that are by the Capitol Building on a daily basis. btw, check out the lobster lasagna if you get a chance. Better than any $100 a plate joint in the District!