Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

A Police Veterans Story

WHAT INFLUENCED YOUR DECISION TO MAKE A CAREER IN LAW ENFORCEMENT?

I always wanted to be a cop. From the time I was a small child when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up was always "Cop." In grade school, I was always a member of the school safety patrol and I just knew law enforcement was my calling.

WHAT WAS YOUR CAREER PATH AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?

My career path actually chose me. I was one of those cops who could step on a banana peel and not slip and fall. Patrol was my thing. I did a short tour in the juvenile unit and another short time in detectives but patrol was where I spent most of my time.

As a Reserve Unit Captain, I also was responsible for the Internal Affairs functions within the department. Not too many problems on a small department but it saved the Chief some hours of work while allowing him to remain impartial in disciplinary matters.

Since getting out of law enforcement I have been a litigation investigator, dabbled with writing a book or two. I am now retired and enjoying volunteering with Police Together We Served.

DID YOU SERVE IN THE MILITARY PRIOR? AND IF SO, IN WHAT BRANCH OF SERVICE? IN WHAT WAYS HAS MILITARY SERVICE INFLUENCED YOUR CAREER IN LAW ENFORCEMENT?

My first exposure to law enforcement came when I was a young Marine. While recovering from a combat wound, I was sent to Okinawa to heal. Upon my arrival there, I was further assigned to the Armed Forces Police (AFP) unit until I returned to Vietnam. Once back in country, I was assigned to the MP company for the 1st Marine Division. When I finally rotated back to the States, I was assigned to the 5th Marine Division MP's at Camp Pendleton, CA.

After a second tour in Vietnam, I returned to the States and was assigned to the MP's at MCAS El Toro until my final discharge from the USMC.

While at El Toro, I applied at the Washington DC PD, Sky Marshalls and LAPD. I was accepted at all three and chose LAPD where I began the Academy two days after my discharge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

seriously? an MP in the marines? not even a grunt? really good at kissing ass and sucking up! just shut up and follow orders. No need for thinking for yourself since your only duty will be standing at the gate and saluting! as a former marine I have no use for these glorified hall monitors!

Anonymous said...

6:57 PM

ur no marine