Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, July 18, 2014

Guards Put To The Test In Dewey Beach

Don't be fooled. Running with those bright red lifeguard buoys that sit at the base of lifeguard stands everywhere takes skill, and I have the rope burn on my left foot and sand in my ear to prove it.

The Dewey Beach Patrol held its annual rookie testing July 15 and 16, and Capt. Todd Fritchman decided to do something he had never done before – let a reporter take a portion of the test after he was brilliant, or dumb, enough to ask.

I had gotten the idea earlier in the week while I was running – I log somewhere between 25 and 30 miles a week and work out regularly. Running is a time in the morning when I generally feel pretty good about myself and the idea popped into my head about halfway through five miles. I also have a sizable sweet tooth and the love handles to prove it. But I figured the test would be something interesting to try and it wouldn’t be the first time I made a fool of myself if I failed miserably.

“There's always a first for everything,” Fritchman said with a what-an-idiot smile as I handed him a doctor's note that said I was cleared for all activity – a precaution Fritchman required, just in case.

More

No comments: