Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, March 31, 2014

Lawsuit: Man Arrested, Searched For Marijuana Solely For Having Colorado License Plate

An Idaho state trooper arrested and fully searched a 70-year-old Washington man’s vehicle solely because he had a Colorado license plate – a state where marijuana is legal – a federal “license plate profiling” lawsuit alleges.

Darien Roseen was driving along I-84 between his second home in Colorado and Washington state on Jan. 25 when Idaho State Trooper Justin Klitch “immediately” pulled out from the Interstate median and began “rapidly accelerating” to catch up to Roseen, according to the complaint in a Courthouse News Service report. Exiting at a designated rest area, Roseen says he became “uncomfortable” that Klitch had followed him though he not “done anything wrong.”

After pulling Roseen over, Klitch reportedly failed to explain why he made the stop, although he later said he made the stop because Roseen failed to use his signal when pulling off on the exit, and because he bumped the curb. Klitch rejected Roseen’s reason for pulling into the rest area, telling him, “You didn’t have to go to the bathroom before you saw me … I’m telling you, you pulled in here to avoid me.”

Read more

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so it begins...

Anonymous said...

Absolutely insane level of "law enforcement". My attorney (and yours, too, Joe) would have a field day on this one, including a civil rights case in the millions.

lmclain said...

Hmmmmm, I may have to take back my comments on how utterly stupid and inept the Gestapo is.....apparently, not only can they spot someone smoking a joint, at night, on the other side of the freeway, and see whether or not they were wearing a seat belt, they can also know when your bladder is full, merely by observing your car as you drive by them.
I wonder if he said "I smelled marijuana coming from your car as it passed me, you 70 year old pot head!".
When you have a "I can do whatever I want" badge, the law, probable cause, and the Bill of Rights are only things they talk about (ever so briefly) in their training, so they can claim they covered it. But their instructors are winking at them so fast as they talk about it, they think it's Morse code for "this stuff is really just a bunch of BS, but I have to cover it anyway". Then they all burst out in hysterical laughter.

My Tax dollars pay for this crap too said...

I am seeing more and more Harassment by the State Police on Civilians....I hope this old timer sues the pants off this Trooper....That Trooper acts like the ones assigned to Berlin State Police Barracks....(they ride with their lights activated to grab a cup of coffee...)

Anonymous said...

f you think Idaho State Trooper Justin Klitch should be fired,
please let his boss know. The Director of the Idaho State Police is a
man named Colonel Ralph Powell. Colonel Powell's email address is
Ralph.Powell@isp.idaho.gov

If you'd like to contact Colonel Powell via the USPS, his mailing address is:

Colonel Ralph Powell
Director, Idaho State Police
Idaho State Police Headquarters
700 S. Stratford Drive
Meridian, ID 83642

If you'd like to email Trooper Justin Klitch directly, his email address is Justin.Klitch@isp.idaho.gov

Anonymous said...

They better pull me over after I retire if I'm anywhere near CO. Cause I'll be having some weed, mon.

Anonymous said...

The real bitch of all this crap is WE as taxpayers are paying for all these lawsuits caused by inept cops.

Anonymous said...

The ensuing search of the vehicle by multiple unidentified officers found nothing and Roseen was issued a citation for “inattentive/careless” driving.

and thats how cops get planked and shot in the face