Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, December 29, 2013

An Incredible Journey

Hopefully you hadn't noticed I have been away the past few days. If you have, I'm sorry but a more important situation was at hand.

The image above is my Grandmother who passed away this past week at 96 years young. 

No cancer. No lung disease. In fact, no burden on her Family whatsoever for 96 years. In her younger years she loved her Scotch, (wee nip)  and cigarettes until about 20+ years ago when she quit it all. She cooked just about everything in a cast iron frying pan pretty damn near as old as she was and of course butter on just about everything.

For most of her life she lived in a 4th floor apartment in the Bronx, no elevator and each flight was easily 12 feet up from one floor to the next, not 8 feet like we deal with in our homes.

No assisted living. No nurses and one thing I can truly tell you, NO COMPLAINTS. My Grandmother died of natural causes of old age. 

There's one personal story about my Grandmother I'd like to share with all of you in which I think you'll get a kick out of. 

Ten years ago my Grandmother was visiting my Aunt in Upstate New York. She told my Aunt when she got there that she just wasn't feeling right. Being concerned knowing my Grandmother never complained about anything she decided to take my Grandmother to the Hospital. Mind you, I truly cannot EVER tell you one time I remember my Grandmother going to a Doctor.

Nevertheless, they got to the Hospital and very quickly the Doctor told my Aunt and Grandmother that she was having a massive heart attack. My Aunt started crying and my Grandmother said, it's OK Betty, I've lived a wonderful life. My Aunt told her Mother she wasn't ready for her to leave us. At this point my Grandmother was 86 years old and my Aunt asked the Doctor if there was anything he could do. He said he could do a quadruple bypass but at her age the odds of surviving were less than 5%.

Fulfilling my Aunt's wishes my Grandmother agreed to let the Doctor try, since the odds were so low and she was ready to go anyway. They lost my Grandmother several times on the table but were able to revive her each time and she survived the surgery.

When my Grandmother came to after the surgery and in recovery the Doctor came in and said, Bea, I have some good news for you. She weakly replied, what's that. He said, the surgery was a great success and I've added another 10 to 12 years to your life. She laid there quietly for a few seconds and with that LOOK she stared the Doctor down and said, "YOU SON OF A BITCH".

God Bless you Grandma.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. Thanks for sharing and I'm very sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

God bless her heart. Very nice story. So sorry for your loss. I to have lost two family members last month. One was my younger sister of 56 years old and a cousin 86 years old. Both to cancer. My heart goes out to you. map

Anonymous said...

My condolences to you, Joe.

Anonymous said...

Strong woman R.I.P.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. I bet Grandma was a wealth of information about her life experiences.
I love to listen to the elderly speak about themselves and their experiences.
May she rest in peace!

MACK said...

Our Prayers and Thoughts are with you during these times and Wish You & Yours the very Best.

Tidewaterbound said...

Wishing you strength and solace in your loss. Bless you Joe and your grandmother was all each of us could hope to be.

Queensgirl52 said...

So sorry for your loss. God bless her.

Anonymous said...

We sorta kinda know her now Joe.Thanks for the introduction.She would be proud of the writeup.

Anonymous said...

May your Grandma R.I.P.

Pinecone5 said...

Joe,

So sorry for your loss. My Mom is also 96 and recently broke a bone. Until then, she was completely independent, driving, shopping, church, cooking & cleaning.
When she went in for surgery to repair the bone, she informed the entire staff that if she left them, they were not to bring her back under any circumstances.
Well, she survived the surgery and is now planning the next step in her life, in consultation with family members. I will wish her Merry Christmas tomorrow when I visit.

Prayers and God's blessings to you and your family. Despite your loss I sincerely hope you will still have a Merry Christmas. Sounds like your Grandmother had a wonderful life.

Anonymous said...

I love it and I'm certain walking up stairs instead of using an elevator added years to her life.

catjowill said...

So sorry for your loss Joe!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the story Joe and very sorry for your loss...

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I am sure she will be greatly missed.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry for your loss.

bury_voter

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss Wonderful funny memories for sure

Anonymous said...

She was such a gift in your life. Thank you so much for sharing. My condolences.

Anonymous said...

You will miss the plain and simple knowledge of this lady. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

they sure don't make 'em like her any more - and what a blessing for your family! GOD bless you all

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the story about your Grandma with us. She was a true role model and inspiration to her family.

Anonymous said...

Please accept my condolences on the passing of your grandma. She sounds like a person I would have loved to have known. What a nice tribute you wrote! GodBless

Anonymous said...

Sorry for you loss. She seems to have lived a wonderful life.

George Chevallier said...

Joe,
I,too, had a grandmother that lived to be 98. I asked her one time when she was in her 90's what was her secret to such a long life. She said she ate when she got hungry, slept when she got tired and did something when she damn well felt like it. Great old gals. We have been blessed to have had them.

JoeAlbero said...

George,

When I was 18 & 19 years old I lived in NYC with my Grandmother. By far the very best years of my entire life.

One day I was playing softball in Central Park. I was running for a fly ball and my foot went right into one of the sprinkler holes and I swore I had broken my ankle.

I went to the Hospital and they said I had torn all this stuff but I hadn't broken it.

Each day I would walk a good 1/2 mile to the train station with my Grandmother as I worked in the business right next door to my Grandmother's work. Needless to say, I couldn't walk.

When I took my first day off work my Grandmother gave me that EYE. Oh, she was pissed alright. The second day there was still no way I could walk and she let me have it. I stayed home with the worst guilt you could imagine.

By the third day I was hopping down four flights of stairs and then using crutches all the way to the train station. My Grandmother was way ahead of me and all I did was complain about the pain.

By the time I got down to the D train at 205th street, it was the first stop so there was always seats on the train, that was a relief. I sat next to my Grandmother as she buried herself in the crossword puzzle and completely ignored me.

By the time we got to the third stop on the train it started getting pretty packed and as it was moving the doors opened between the cars and in rolled a man in a wheel chair with a can in his lap.

As her got closer it was clear the man had no legs at all. My Grandmother looked at me and said, HOWS THE PAIN NOW JOE?

ARRRGH! She was always so right.

Anonymous said...

Funny these stories sound like a movie.

Anonymous said...

It sounds as though you were very fond of this sweet lady. You were luck to have had her in your life for most of your adult life. What a blessing she was and is. I bid you peace.

Anonymous said...

God bless all GRANDMOTHERS!!!!