Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Top 5 Reasons I Stopped Caring About Politics

When I was young, I felt a need to understand politics, and I spent time studying. But as time progressed, I received diminishing returns on that investment. And in the past few years, I have given it up altogether.

These days, my concern with politics is limited to things like these:
Who is making war, and where?
Where is the crime occurring in my area?
Are there laws that will force me to move my businesses offshore?

Beyond that, I’m really not interested. I see the headlines, but I seldom read the stories. And I’m very happy saying, “I haven’t looked into it,” when people ask my opinion on the day’s ‘news.’

Here’s why:
#5: It eats up a horrifying amount of time and energy

Seriously, start counting the number of hours you spend on this stuff. How many hours listening to political radio, watching political TV, and reading political newspapers?

Then start thinking about the intense energy you spend on it. We all have limited reserves of energy; do you really believe that politics is the highest and best use for yours? What about using your energy to build your business? Or to nurture your children? Or to help a neighbor? There must be a
dozen things that are more important than obsessing over the votes of congressmen or Supreme Court judges.

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I encourage everyone who reads this blog to read this post completely. Best thing I've seen in a while.

Anonymous said...

Read, understand...then actually get involved in a manner which will change it to something that helps society - instead of the individual politicians!

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%

Anonymous said...

I agree with only half of this. people have to learn about politics for a bit or the new generations are going to vote for idiots like Obama, because they don't know what's going on in this country. But researching it takes hours. So this article has a point

Anonymous said...

Ignorance is bliss?

lmclain said...

Thats great. People in China and North Korea don't have to worry about politics either. Just toe the line, shut up, and do whatever they're told. Or else. Thats the end result of "not worrying about politics". Short term happiness for long term subjugation. Keep cheering.