Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 22, 2013

MDs Warn Teens: Don't Take The Cinnamon Challenge

Don't take the cinnamon challenge. That's the advice from doctors in a new report about a dangerous prank depicted in popular YouTube videos but which has led to hospitalizations and a surge in calls to U.S. poison centers.

The fad involves daring someone to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon in 60 seconds without water. But the spice is caustic, and trying to gulp it down can cause choking, throat irritation, breathing trouble and even collapsed lungs, the report said.

Published online Monday in Pediatrics, the report said at least 30 teens nationwide needed medical attention after taking the challenge last year.

More 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

back in my day it was the "eat a stick of butter challenge". classic. still funny as an adult.

Anonymous said...

When I was a lot younger I had an addiction to chewing the cinnamon sticks that came in a McCormick can.Strange I know,but I could'nt get enough of them.I never had any ill effects from it.

Anonymous said...

I had a friend that asked me if I dared him to eat a tablespoon full of Wasibi green horseradish at a Japanese restaurant when we first arrived. I told him to do what he wants, he did the deed and after about 5 straight minutes of gagging, coughing, crying and apple red face, with lots of folks looking on, he finally regained his composure. I asked him what he did for an encore.
He was from Baltimore.