Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, March 03, 2013

University of Maryland Bringing Doctors To Barber Shops With Federal Grant

Some Maryland residents may be asking for a haircut, shave and a doctor's consultation at their local barber shop thanks to a new University of Maryland health program funded by a $5.9 million federal grant.

The university's Center for Health Equity received the grant from the National Institutes of Health to address racial disparities in Maryland health care. The center's research will focus on raising vaccination rates and lowering obesity rates among minorities, as well as addressing the role fathers can play in reducing infant mortality.

Part of this will be done at barber shops and beauty salons in an initiative the center has titled Health Advocates In-Reach and Research, or HAIR. Medical professionals there can provide education, encourage people to participate in clinical trials and even provide medical consultations, center Director Dr. Stephen Thomas said.

More 

5 comments:

ginn said...

I tend to wonder just what caliber of medical professional is going to be there. This is one of the most ridiculous wastes of money I've ever seen.

Watcher said...

More wasteful spending! I don't know why it should surprise anyone, NIH is one of the most wastful government organizations that I have ever worked in and there has been a few.

Anonymous said...

Where can I sign up for a grant for my business?

Anonymous said...

I think it's a good idea, although it would make more sense to me to use medical and nursing students.

Anonymous said...

I'll be expecting this the next time I go to Eric's Barber Shop.Maybe I can finally find out what ails me besides being 100 pounds overweight.