Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

A Letter To The Editor 1-1-13

This is a true story about two brothers who were simultaneously struggling through challenging times recently and who both unwisely resorted to drinking alcohol to cope. They were both stumbling down crooked paths on broken roads during their life’s journey, which would ultimately only lead them to a dead end – literally.The two brothers I am referring to are me and my brother. While I am alive, recently sober, and fortunate enough to write this story - my brother who died this past Thanksgiving is unfortunately not. Regardless of the cause of his death, he spent the final months of his life controlled by alcohol.
When consumed irresponsibly, alcohol is lethal and poisonous to one’s health – physical, as well as mental. While I chose to conquer my addiction via going to church, praying to God, and reaching out to my non-judgmental: wife, church members, and “true” friends - my brother opted to battle his addiction on his own which in most cases is a losing battle. 
I am sure many people can relate to my story. Hopefully nobody reading this is currently staggering down a destructive path, similar to the one my brother and I chose, during their one & only fleeting journey on earth. If so, I highly recommend they seek help before it’s too late and to quickly make a U-turn and choose to travel on a more prosperous & productive path on their journey instead of an ominous road that will inevitably lead them to – a dead end.
Andy Berges

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plenty are headed in the wrong direction.Probably more than we know.Very good post if the right people read it,but a lot of the "right people" will start reading it,see where its headed and then scroll down to a less invasive post.

Anonymous said...

andy, thank you so very much for sharing your story. i pray it helps many people on this "new years" day. i love the path you took, as it's a path many of us took to find healing and forgiveness. may God richly bless you and your family...

Anonymous said...

That took a lot of courage to write.

I'm sorry for your loss, sir, and thank you for sharing your story to hopefully prevent another tragedy.

Andy Berges said...

Thank you 11:32 & 12:31.
In retrospect, I cringe when I think about the amount of money & the irreplaceable time I wasted during my life due to alcohol.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your brother Andy and I hope you continue to prevail in your new path. If you haven't already, it is a good idea to have a hobby and I found baking to be therapeutic. Yes baking. Even if it's just the choc. chip cookies using the recipe from the bag of choc. chips.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Andy, so sorry for your loss. There are many today walking that path in one form or another.The only answer to any of these problems is the LORD. May you continue to be encouraged on your journey and be used by the LORD to help others. Happy New Year...

Andy Berges said...

Thank you for the condolences & advice Anon 6:25. As far as your advice about baking though, I’m a terrible baker so the cookies would most likely turn out burnt so I’ll be resorting to another therapeutic hobby.

Thank you as well for your condolences Anon 11:53 & your words of encouragement and Happy New Year to you too.

Anonymous said...

NO NO NO NO NO-You are not a terrible baker, Andy. Remember so many things are possible and can be accomplished. Just set your goals and keep focused and you will succeed. These are new days ahead. Look back with a critical eye, don't dwell but be aware of where you don't want to be again.

Andy Berges said...

Thank you Anon 1:10.

I've already set my goals and will definitely be aiming high while remaining focused & keeping the faith and not losing hope for a long-awaited successful year in 2013.

Good advice regarding looking back & not dwelling. I've learned from my mistakes. Failure is NOT an option and neither is "quitting."

As Paul Meyer wisely stated - "90% of all those who fail are not actually defeated. They simply quit."

Anonymous said...

"As Paul Meyer wisely stated - "90% of all those who fail are not actually defeated. They simply quit.""

I've never heard of Paul Meyer nor this saying but I love it. If I were a teacher or even a parent I would have this saying displayed in a prominent place for the children/students to see daily.