Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, January 07, 2012

Adam Roop Isn't Just Talking, He's A Man Of Action






This morning Adam Roop met with a group of people expressing his personal background/history in Salisbury as well as his interest in entertaining a possible run for Mayor of Salisbury in 2013. He was joined by Family and Friends who enjoyed a fantastic breakfast beforehand at the Black Diamond.

Adam opened up with a very detailed speech in which he focused on topics like Crime, Downtown, Housing, Cleanliness of the City, Macro vs. Micro projects, more revenue generating activities for the City and details of how he would possible tackle each area. More importantly he wanted to open the floor up to questions and personal concerns by those attending.


Adam isn't just talking, he's acting upon his disappointments and even embarrassment in some cases as to the current Mayor and Council. Adam discussed his interest in an open container law for specific Downtown areas and even closing down the Plaza during certain hours. He wants to see a better working relationship between the Council and Landlords and mentioned the City should focus more on repeat offenders who fail to keep their properties compliant.

All in all he delivered what I thought was a well thought out speech with details that quite frankly surprised me for a 28 year old man. Adam Roop admits he's made mistakes in the past both in business and personal. However, he's learned from those mistakes and rather than giving up like many have already, he's faced those difficulties in extremely difficult times and today is enjoying the rewards from sticking with it and moving forward.

This young man is wise beyond his years and quite frankly I feel should be given the chance to get into this next Mayoral race in 2013. He's not feeding citizens a line of crap like Ireton did by stating the river will be clean in 10 years, so much so you'll be able to swim in it again. It's those "feel good" lines that help people get elected but they're always complete BS. IF Ireton knew what he was talking about, if Ireton knew about how much the Zoo pollutes the river, yet the stats were NEVER taken from that part of the river because previous politicians COVERED IT UP until I exposed it, Ireton would know exactly why the swimming stopped at the City Park many years ago. It isn't just the WWTP polluting the river, the Zoo is doing its fair share as well.

He's not just talking, he's backing up what he started. He wants a future here, like so many others. Some Bloggers and haters on Facebook have given Adam a pretty hard time already. Yet NONE of those anonymous people are willing to stick their necks out to make a difference and Adam is doing just that.

So love him or hate him, he's made the first step to let Jim Ireton and all of the citizens of Salisbury know, if you'll have him, he wants to run and make a difference once and for all. If you're looking for a candidate that wants to feed you lines about things you know can't be done, (like clean the river in 10 years) Adam is not your man. However, if you want a new Mayor that will do his very best to bring proven successful business experience to the table with real ideas and results, Adam IS your man.

You've had how many people now tell you they can do it, they can create "Dream Teams" or create civility between council members, how's it working for you Folks? As someone who has been around this local arena for many years now, I believe you should in fact open your arms and start listening to what Adam Roop has to say. The guy is onto something, he's sticking his neck out and while some nay sayers will always say anything opposite of what Joe Albero says/suggests, I'm suggesting you ignore those people who give nothing back to the community and support Adam Roop.

As I stated this morning, I am not endorsing Adam Roop for Mayor of Salisbury. I am supporting Adam Roop's choice to run for Mayor, as should all of you. When all the candidates are on board we will then make our endorsements towards the candidate we feel can in fact make a difference for Salisbury. One thing is for sure, it will NOT be Jim Ireton, John Robinson or Mike Dunn.

16 comments:

Tim Chaney said...

I really wanted to make it this morning but was feeling under the weather.

I hope he had a lot of people there today. I can catch him another time I'm sure. I would like to ask him how he felt about some issues we've had such as the Bricks and other positions he may have ideas for improvements.

There is a lot in the next few years we need to change, and we have to make better choices voting on all levels of government, business as usual needs to change. It's not working.

Anonymous said...

I would surely vote for Adam..He is such a good guy! He has been out there and made human mistakes ..but all in all he is a down to earth decent young man who is wise beyond his years...GO ADAM!

Anonymous said...

He may be only 28 but he shows much more maturity than what's-his-name.

Anonymous said...

He does seem like a good person, though can anyone help bring about civility between the Administration and Council? I would love to see that happen.

Anonymous said...

Adam, good luck and I wish you well. This "Stella" is for you.

Anonymous said...

I went today and was impressed with Adam's speech. It was a clear message that touched on alot of points. I would be excited to have someone in office with a business background who knows how to make the hard decisions that effect this community.

steve said...

While I live in the city I am still county. I am so glad on a daily basis I do not pay taxes to fund what is basically our own local Ringling Brothers. It is a chronic embarrassment to live between Cambridge and Berlin and be known for NOTHING. Even Cambridge on the basis of its "recovery" blows away what Salisbury has to offer. Adam Roop may turn into the next Barrie or Jim but at least I will isten to him before he gets there. Have another hit, of fresh air!

Anonymous said...

9:30, how can you live "in" the city and not pay city taxes?

Anonymous said...

Adam Roop has taken the first steps on a journey of a thousand political miles. I admire his courage to move forward in an attempt to help the community be safe, clean and feel cared about. Given the chance, I know Adam will be an unforgettable leader who helps Salisbury, Maryland be a great place to call home.

Anonymous said...

9:37, it is considered Salisbury but is not within city limits. AKA it's the county. Did Adam touch on anything regarding advocating for our police department? Not the Chief, but our police.

Anonymous said...

I'm willing to listen. But two things will turn me off if these are his positions.

. If Roop is blaming this council for what's wrong. Ireton had a group willing to work with him and he still did NOTHING but Barrie Tilghman's agenda. Ireton was ripping on this council from Day One. Why?

2. If Roop supports the Barrie Ireton giveaways to "save" Downtown, to "save" Church St., to "save" whatever. This "give and save" mentality is just burying the people and businesses paying taxes. Grow the city, but figure out how to do it without destroying other people!

steve said...

There are areas of the city that are still considered "county". I am within the city limits. I have well and septic. If you knew where I was exactly you would tend to agree.

Adam Roop said...

Joe,

Thank you for this post. Please let your readers know that over the next few weeks, I will be developing a website/blog to use as a platform to share my positions on current/past events, my opinions, my ideas, and my visions for the future of Salisbury. I will also be starting to attend council meetings and any other respective meetings/events on a more consistent basis. I urge any other people who are interested in local politics and getting involved to do the same. Once I have this platform built, i will notify you so people can start to learn more about my positions and what I believe in. I want to thank everyone for their feedback and support, whether good or bad, it brings awarenessss to the City's issues that need proactive change - and that's the primary reason why I'm putting my self out there and getting involved. With the citizens help, together, we can help unite Salisbury and hopefully it's administration once and for all. Salisbury politics have seen better days...let's bring them back. Sincerely, Adam Roop

Anonymous said...

Steve, if you don't get a city tax bill then you don't live "in" the city and are not allowed to vote. You may have a salisbury mailing address, but you don't live in salisbury.

steve said...

I certainly understand I cannot vote. Maybe I should clarify my comments. I am glad I do not pay taxes to the city for the charade that goes on in the local government. That being said my wife and I do the best we can to support 3rd Friday, the Salisbury Festival, downtown and local merchants, etc. This town has so much to offer it amazes me for the 15 years I have lived here that nobody can seem to come together on a common goal of what is best for the town. The Boulevard Theatre was a prime example. I still continue to go to Easton for live music. Sad all in.

Anonymous said...

I've only known Adam Roop for a couple of years and it took me a while to figure him out at first but now that I've had a chance to really get to know him I must admit that he completely blows me away. As a Realtor with Exit Shore Realty and The Roop Group I can tell you that this man is one of the hardest working people that I've ever met in my 40+ years of living. His passion for the business drives him and he's a perfectionist to boot. That being said, he has my full support for his bid. If he's half as passionate about this city as he is about his business I'd advise you not to take him lightly and not to let his age fool you. He goes the extra mile and then some. Right now we tease him because we say Exit is his wife. Its nothing to find him there at any time of the day or night. But we know that if he's elected mayor he will have a 2nd wife, the City of Salisbury, because his passion spreads like fire and some people can't handle the heat. If you sit close enough to him and have a conversation with him, you too will feel the heat he brings...its amazing to experience all of that knowledge and power in such a young person. Go Adam!! I support you all the way!!