Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, December 18, 2011

An Open Letter From Earl Campbell


I came to you on December 8, 2011 with the article about K-9 Charlie and my resignation, to address my concern with the handling of K-9 Charlie’s needed surgery. I felt appalled by the way Charlie was made to suffer over a piece of paper. In addition I was fighting for better working conditions for my brothers in blue at the Ocean City Police Department. My goal was to assure that no other dog would ever suffer due to a failure in the system or a piece of paper again.

I feel that I have accomplished my goal, going forward I am confident police K-9's in Ocean City will get the care and treatment they deserve. To all the people that called, emailed, or posted comments supporting me, I say THANK YOU, I have been moved beyond words.

I now need to refocus my energy, my family is what is most important to me, I need to address their needs and begin my new life as a citizen, no longer a police officer. I fought a respectful fight and I believe I made a difference. The fight was hard on my family, it is time for me to move forward. I can’t sit by and allow my family to take the harassment, threats and public bashing anymore. I have three daughters to support, this has taken a heavy toll on me and on them; it is time to focus on job hunting, maybe starting my own business, in either case it is time to move on!

It was very hurtful to see this become an issue that gave people the belief that they could make it an attack on my family. My children got messages on Facebook about their father being a bad cop, a bad example, and questioning my abilities as a police officer. As a dad it was too much to watch my young children face these attacks, for those of you that disagreed with me but maintained civility, I sincerely thank you!

To the members of the Ocean City Police Department; I loved working with you, I loved being a cop, and being part of the OCPD brotherhood! I want nothing but the best for all you, good luck guys, please stay safe and always have each other’s backs. I’m going to miss you all so much!

To the two council members that I have spoken with through phone or social media, God bless you both and good luck in the future. You are both great leaders and Ocean City is lucky to have two people like you two serving in office. I am proud to call you both a friend!

To Mr Albero, thank you for being impartial through this entire ordeal. I know this took a lot of your time with the overwhelming amount of comments that were left on the various blogs and I thank you for making it available.

Just to let you know, Charlie is doing fantastic and will start physical therapy in a few weeks. He will use swimming pools, water treadmill and various objects to gain his strength back. My girls are so happy to see him doing so well, we are a happy, fulfilled family, Charlie is loved and cherished and will enjoy the remainder of his life as a pet.

I will continue to pursue the proper treatment of animals, especially working police dogs. In the near future I will begin a push through Annapolis and attempt to have legislation passed to protect working dogs.

My friends, citizens, business owners, and supporters, please feel free to stay in contact with me at EARLDCAMPBELL@GMAIL.COM. Your support was amazing, thank you so much!

In closing, I want to say thank you ALL for your support. Happy Holidays to you all and have a very happy New Year!

Earl Campbell

Publisher's Notes: I would like to thank the Campbell Family for understanding my position in this matter. Over the past seven years I have had quite a bit of experience dealing with multiple law enforcement agencies as well as Fire Departments. Whenever you get such a large group of people, (IMO) you're going to have some who want to stir the pot because they disagree with leadership. What I want our readers to understand is that we just don't go out and publish every single story that comes to us. In fact, this is one major reason why some of those people in these organizations dislike me, I refused to tell their story.

In this case, this is real. Other news outlets chose to follow up on what we had first delivered, yet many of them used "quotes" from different leaders. You have to understand, this is the difference between Salisbury News and the MSM. Yeah, I spoke with management but I'll be damned if I'd ever put them on the line. This is why I had stated from the beginning, there are two sides to this story and we only had ONE. Using standard quotes doesn't make a story. All too often we have seen the local MSM use those quotes knowing it was a lie, yet it wasn't their own words so their liability is zero. Just because there's a quote doesn't mean it's right OR true.

Mind you, I cannot blame management for choosing to stay away from any statement because it could create a lawsuit. However, what we have received instead are Officers contacting me telling me Ocean City was filing with Google for IP Addresses. I want to make something very clear here. I will not, nor will I ever, give permission for anyone to access our viewers IP Addresses UNLESS there is a death threat.

I have explained to those concerned that there has been NO LAWS broken, therefore they cannot access those IP Addresses. I've been through this in the past with the former Police Chief of Salisbury and a Judge refused to allow him access. The same will happen here. I should add, you CANNOT defame a Public Figure, unless you knowingly and openly lie. For them to prove you have done so is pretty much impossible and that too has been proven.

This story has created almost 600 comments, the biggest we've ever seen. It has also delivered the biggest volume of traffic we've ever seen. Again, in my honest opinion, this is a matter in which policy should be reconsidered and I agree with Mr. Campbell, new legislation needs to be considered. You see, when a K-9 is on the Force, he/she is considered an Officer. However, when that Officer / K-9 is retired he/she is then considered a piece of equipment. This is why I ran the story in the first place. I disagree with the policy and legislation. If a K-9 has been injured ON THE JOB, take care of that animal, period.

You can't have it both ways. As one person said, when people are running out of a dangerous building, these K-9's are running into danger. All too often we see Police and Fire Departments spending a small fortune replacing engines and transmissions on vehicles with almost 200,000 miles on them. A $6,000.00 surgery on an animal who has brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars worth or revenue that, (in many cases) stays within the Department from drug busts, he/she should not be considered equipment. He/She is an investment. Yet you're NOT reading such information in the local papers because the MSM is not allowed to be opinionated, per their own protocol.

So are you truly getting the whole story, NO. Were you previously aware of ALL of the criminals Charlie has apprehended? Have you been told ALL of the money and drugs he seized? Instead, Charlie is just a worn down piece of equipment who's time has run out because he's been injured AS AN OFFICER.

For now, the OCPD is right. According to the laws they have done what is expected of them. That doesn't mean it's right and even those leaders who I know personally probably wouldn't disagree with me. They do love animals but some more than others.

Charlie is in the best hands he could ever possibly be in. My hat is tipped to the entire Campbell Family for their unconditional love for Charlie. To those people sending such nasty messages to the Campbell Children, shame on you. I will say to the Campbell's, you have to wonder who these people are because AFTER the message went out internally that IP Addresses would be challenged, NOT ONE comment has come into Salisbury News making such statements. Only a COWARD would go after CHILDREN.

In closing, I want it openly known that I will personally get involved with helping Mr. Campbell on the legislative end, much as we did with Sarah Foxwell and the Sex Offender legislation. Just imagine is PETA got their hands on this story. Win, lose or draw it's something I believe in and I'm confident many of you do as well.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

the really sad part here is not only the dog, but I wonder how oc pd treats it's worn down police officers. I imagine not much better!

Anonymous said...

Boo Hoo, stop your moaning and watch the darn football games.

Anonymous said...

I hope legislation will be changed. Charlie has blood running through his veins and breaths air which makes him a living animal. Being called a worn down piece of equipment doesn't seem right.

I agree with 11:31. If they treat Charlie like this how are they treating officers who are retired due to an injury received in the line of duty?

God Bless you Earl and the whole Campbell Family. I'm sure Charlie loves each of you as much as you love him.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Charlie!

Anonymous said...

to love and care for a dog as much as he has, speaks volumes about the character of this man.

Anonymous said...

"surgery on an animal who has brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars worth or revenue".

That's interesting. So drug arrest or bust are for profits?

Anonymous said...

Dr. M. Bush in Winchester Va. treated my Shepard. Vets on the shore stated to put him down. Bush is one of the best in the country. He treats numerous working dogs for the feds. My shepaerd lived another four year after being a quadrapalegic for almost three minths. The man loves law enforcement. He has also saved many K-9s injured in Iraq. The best spine guy any where. Just google him he has done some awesome stuff. Good luck in your travels.

Anonymous said...

To Earl and his family I support you for your courage and you loving Charlie like a part of the family. We feel the same way about our dog he is our family. To those people who attacked the children the old saying still applies. What comes around goes around it will be your turn soon enough. God bless the Campbell family and Charlie!!

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you & your family Earl. Do not be bothered by ignorant people's comments such as Anon 12:42. Unfortunately ignorant people such as him will always exist in our society and they need to be ignored.

Anonymous said...

Earl...just a thought....have you thought about opening a K-9 training school? Sounds like the perfect open window.

Anonymous said...

Wish we had More People like Mr Campbell around! Yes, as some person insinuated it sure shows what kind of person he is to do what he's done for this animal.

I wish him all the best in his indevors to get laws changed for the protection of these wonderful animals.

Man should be ashamed to not have better laws in effect!! The animal is putting his life on the line for his owner & the community.

When you get ready to work on getting the laws changed please let Joe know , as he's an advocate for animals. The viewers will stand behind you to support you also!

Anonymous said...

To the Campbells and Charlie, have the Best Christmas Ever!

Especially to the children, I'm sorry rude, stupid people saw fit to say ugly things to you about your father. They are to be pitied. I don't know your father, but I can tell he is the best of the best of the best! But then, you already know that.

It is amazing the ignorant, evil people who will subject the children of public figures to the garbage that they do.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Earl for bringing Charlie's situation and our situation as a whole to light. It's shameful that people are attacking you through your kids. Thank you for starting this battle we'll take it from here. To my fellow officers of the OCPD remember these 2 important dates October 2012 the town elections and October 2013. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

signed
80XX, 81XX, 82XX

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you how OCPD treats it's members. Unless you are a member of chief Dipino's flock, your job is always in danger. Danger not from bad guys but from the chief and her followers that worship the ground she struts on. If a citizen has a gripe against an officer and files a complaint, that officer is guilty in the chief's eyes until he proves otherwise. Look up the word narcissist in the dictionary and you'll see Chief Dipino's pictures. If you doubt my words ask an OCPD officer. 85% will agree with me. For those who ask why I didn't have the gonads to post my name, I'm one of many victims of Dipino's unwarranted wrath. I have a family to feed and need to keep my job until I secure a position in another police agency.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you & your family. Thank you for your service.

Anonymous said...

Hey 12:42:

Watch the Fotball games?

Are you for real? Is that all you do is watch the Government News Works?

That is why Obama is in office b/c of uniformed as@holes like you.

Anonymous said...

People have criticized then-Mayor Mathias for helping DiPino obtain the chief of police position. I am sure he now regrets it since she supported Michael James during the State Senator election last year. This betrayal displays to everyone the amount of integrity and character she has which is - not much if any at all.

Anonymous said...

What? OCPD petitioning google for IP addresses? What for? Maybe to level some extra-judicial vindictive payback for schizophrenic paranoid perception of non threats? Certainly hope someone notifies the FBI or DOJ of the police's criminal intent.
But, More importantly, I hope Mr. Campbell and family and Charlie have a wonderful Holiday and New Year!

Anonymous said...

Officer Campbell can sleep easy when he lays his head down at night as he has stood his ground against all types of attacks for a dog who he and his family love. This is the good fight, and anymore you would be hard pressed to find a story such as this in the news. I personally have only read about robberies, sexual assults, as well as murders. It is nice to see Officer Campbell stick up for a good cause, politics and money are always motives behind every story.

Anonymous said...

I agree with 10:52. What OC more people like Mr. Campbell who fight for righteousness and their dignity rather than be walked all over and be treated like a piece of disposable trash. The people of the local government in OC and those in its upper echelon in the police dept. OC need to stop pretending they are angelic and impartial church-going people. OC is not Hollywood. Its time to stop being actors and actresses. Its time that these hypocrites prove to the law-abiding to be people not actors and actresses and prove to its citizens that they have morals and integrity just as Mr. Campbell does. So far we're getting the runaround and mum's the word at the Mayor's office. Are we all supposed to just accept the corruption and let it continue???

Anonymous said...

How come the Mayor and City Council will not speak with Campbell? I agree with the one councilman that said they should do exit interviews. This would shed a bright light on alot of issues. They are foolish to think that current members are going to talk. Terrible management handling of this incident from begining to end.

Anonymous said...

Hey residents of Ocean City ask Chief DiPino why she and Captain Kirstein were served with a Cease and Desist order for harassment and retaliation by former police officer Bruce Stender when he recently resigned from the police department. If you’re not familiar with a Cease and Desist order is look it up on Google. This goes to credit what all the officers’ are saying on the blogs. Why would this officer serve this document on Dipino and Kirstein if he wasn’t being treated unfairly? How about DiPino and Kirstein come out and go public with this document for the public to view or maybe Officer Stender would be willing to furnish the press with a copy so we all will know the truth?

Anonymous said...

My concluding thoughts, that I believe are reasonable, are:
Ocean City is controlled & ruled with an "Iron Fist" (and has been for a long, looooong time) in an "Oligarchic" manner.

If you are the type of person who can quietly bear/tolerate being bullied & mistreated as an employee in a workplace and to "deal with it" (as many have stated to do) & to "Shut Up...OR ELSE!!!", Ocean City is seeking as many people as possible that possess these characteristics.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I assume this is the exact reason as to why most of OC's business owners deem citizens from oppressed countries to be IDEAL employees & LOVE for them to work here.

Anonymous said...

@ 5:31 very well reasoned out thoughts. Being from the ocean city area all my life I have noticed the this change to hire from oppressed countries. Probably cause they can't speak the language they don't know how to speak up from themselves. 10 years from now most likely all city employees will be from oppressed countries.

Anonymous said...

Oh please-don't be so fooled by these poor international students from these supposedly "oppressed" countries who come to the US to work. These kids are generally not from poor families first off. It costs thousands for them to come here and work. They are also much more sophisticated, knowledgeable, and refined from having traveled abroad widely before their adventures in the US than our US students. Alot are from Poland, Romainia, Ukraine, Ireland, Bulgaria, etc, all of which are far from "opressed."

Anonymous said...

How do other police forces in metropolitian areas handle a case such as this???? A dog that works for the force should be insured/have medical insurance just like a human, a car, a building or property. Its about not having something in place that was not in place and accountability. "Here on the Lower Shore all I hear is, "There is nothing I can do about it." In many areas of life here, things are not like they should be. Its backwards.

Anonymous said...

@ 7:42 are you seriously saying that the eastern shore is backwards? what in heavens would give you that idea?

Andy Berges said...

To ANON 7:42...most people here do not appreciate change & resist it, rather than facing the fact that change is inevitable & embracing it.

To ANON 7:38…I have met many of the international students and while most of them were educated & intelligent, I strongly disagree with your statement that they are “much more sophisticated, knowledgeable, and refined” than American students. They may be more obedient & be able to tolerate abusive treatment, and brainwashed & programmed to “Do as your told…OR ELSE!”, but they are far from being more sophisticated and knowledgeable than American students. The ones I spoke to earn the equivalent to $1/Hour in their countries, which is why they flock here in MASSIVE droves. Tell us how many American students you can say do the same, in regards to flocking to their countries???

R Johnson said...

Thank you for your diligent service to uphold the law and to stand up for Charlie, who is every bit a member of the team. From police dogs to dogs who assist with
family therapy, their value is often understated.