Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Delmar Holds Historic Meeting

"This Is How A Town Hall Should Be" said one Council Member.

When I had learned that the Bank of Delmar was going to sell their office in Downtown Delmar, I wanted it and I wanted it bad. You know, a Bank of my own.

When I sat down with Carl Anderton and mentioned I wanted to buy it, Carl looked at me and said, Joe, the Town is actually thinking of buying it for a Town Hall.

I had no idea someone would actually be interested in it but it made perfect sense, so I backed away from making an offer and let me tell you, I'm very glad I did.

Folks, this turned out to be one hell of a beautiful building. Whomever did the construction, well, my hat is tipped to them as they seem to be perfectionists. Mind you, I'm sure they were paid a good penny but it looks fantastic.

Its such a pleasure going to meetings OUTSIDE of Salisbury. No Police Officers assigned to protect the Council. No audience bickering. No Mayors throwing digs at Council Members. Yes, going to places like Ocean City, Delmar and Fruitland are truly a pleasurable experience.

The citizens offer well thought out suggestions without being attacked back. Its just a whole new world.

I did learn that the Christmas Parade in Delmar will be held at 2 PM on the 10th of December and the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new Town Hall will be on the same date at noon. Note that the Parade date has in fact changed.

A representative from the Wood Creek Development was there to ask for relief from the Town's billing to cut their lawns. It seems they received a bill for more than $30,000.00 to cut around 150 lots over time. They agreed that they had failed to cut the properties and they didn't deny Delmar arranged to have a company cut the lawns but felt each cutting should have been around $650.00 and not around $10,000.00.

Carl Anderton quickly explained how this would have been the same rate for an individual lot or two lots side by side. They are not in the business of cutting lawns and they charge these rates to discourage taxpayers from forcing the Town to have to do so. The Council, (as a whole) stated they would discuss it and get back to the Wood Creek representative.

At that point things were going so smooth I felt lost and disoriented. I thought, Joe Albero just doesn't belong here any more, there's NO BEEF! LOL

Seriously though, good work Delmar. You should be VERY proud and I truly hope you enjoy your new facility for many years to come in good health.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was McGoob there?

Cathy said...

awww i lived in the brown house beside the bank as a small child. learned to ride my bike in that banks parking lot. talk about skinned up knees!

glad that building will continue to be loved & cared for and not become an eye-sore.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Mayor Niblett and Mayor Houlihan spent a lot of time taking apart and moving the Town Council table you see in your pictures. Good job guys.
John McDonnell

Anonymous said...

Joe,

The man asking for the reduction IS NOT from Wood Creek. He is the developer who currently holds the unsold lots. Please do not group him with us. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Whom ever built the houses in Wood Creek should be ashamed. Construction is horrible!

Anonymous said...

That would be the p.o.s. begging the town to reduce their fees after he ignored their letters to him to mow the grass! Mark Thommason (sp?) of PCS Homes.

Anonymous said...

Thommason claimed it was a contractor that failed to cut the grass.

Bunky got up and correctly pointed out that he could go after that contractor. I don't think the town is very sympathetic toward anyone involved in the Wood Creek debacle.