Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Students Stand Up For Safe Learning Environment

Students at Mardela Middle and High School put safety first Wednesday morning when they immediately notified staff of a knife in the hands of a fellow student. With that information, staff members on the bus ramp during arrival for school Wednesday quickly detained the 7th-grade student, and the knife. No injuries occurred in the incident and all students and staff were safe and calm as the school day got under way.

Mardela Middle and High School Principal Lori Batts commended students and staff for their swift response to the incident. The student has been charged by the Wicomico County Sheriff's Office and will also receive discipline according to the school system's Code of Conduct.

Superintendent of Schools Dr. John Fredericksen emphasized that providing a safe learning environment for students, along with a safe working environment for staff, is one of the Board of Education's three strategic priorities.

"It's unfortunate when a young person makes a poor choice involving school safety, but I'm pleased that the students and staff of Mardela Middle and High School acted quickly and responsibly to ensure that the disruption was minimized and the safe learning environment was restored," he said.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a shame things have changed so much. My friends and I all carried knives in our pockets everyday to school. I even used my Buck knife to dissect a frog in biology class.

Daddio said...

When I was in school, I always carried a pocket knife. I was never harassed nor arrested for having such a device in my possession.

I used it in school as well: Mainly for sharpening pencils.

So the question I want to ask is was this kid threatening folks with his knife?

Or was he simply a boy scout with one in his pocket so he could "be prepared?"

Charlie Sheen said...

Why the difference between WBOC and WMDT...the one below sounds much more serious...cover up???

MARDELA SPRINGS, Md. - A scare at Mardela Springs Middle and High School Wednesday morning.

School officials say a 7th grader pulled a knife on another student at around 7:40 a.m. while on the bus ramp outside the school.

Other students made sure staff members were made aware of the weapon immediately, and officials say within three minutes, both the student and weapon were in custody.

The school was not put on lock-down. The parents of both students involved were notified and arrived at the school.

The youth bearing the knife was taken into custody and is facing charges. The school says it will also be conducting its own investigation.

lastword said...

8:55 PM

No answer yet? Which is it?

Unknown said...

I'm a student at Mardela High School. The knife wasn't pulled on the bus ramp, but in the boy's bathroom. I know this because I was standing near the staff member when a fellow student came up to her and stated the name of the kid with the knife and that he was in the bathroom. The kid with the knife was pulled out of his 1st period class by the cop at our school. I know this because my younger brother is in his class.

Anonymous said...

I am a student at Mardela and it was not in the bathroom I was a witness of this incident and that guy is a nice and sweet person both of them it was in the morning on groundhogs day and there was a fight I tried to break it up but no teacher out there payed attention but it's over now but will never be the same for us.