Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Is It Just Me?

Man, I don't know about all of you but we've been cranking the pellet stove pretty much on high for most of the day and no matter what, it still feels cold inside the house. I'm glad we have this incredible source of heat and I know how our home is well insulated. However, it sure does make me wonder  how others living in homes 30, 40 or more years old are handling these cold temperatures. Even worse, what their oil, gas and electric bills will be like this month!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I agree..., but I still have old fashion wood stove & house was built in 1958; however, glad I bought firewood this year. The oil bill was $2900 last year. This yr was $800 + $185 for wood. LOVE the wood stove:)

Anonymous said...

We live in a house that was built in 1925. All the windows have been replaced with insulated windows including the basement. all we have is a gas log buck stove that runs on propane. It heats a 2 story 1500 sq.ft. house and we have 1 12o gal. tank that has been 4 times since the cold set in which was about the end of Oct first of Nov. Thank the lord for the budget plan.

Unknown said...

Put an extra blanket on the bed at night and move into a single room with a ceramic heater during the day. A ceiling fan running low keeps the warm air spread around. I can keep the thermostat turned down this way.

slf said...

$400 elec bill and $250 propane bill. My son's electric bill was $700. I'll be glad when spring comes!

Michelle said...

WOW...how much is an average electric bill...Mine is $100. I unplugged everything a few mo ago..ie...cell ph charger, coffee pots, tv's when not in use, computer, & installed motion lights in areas that I forget to turn lights off(kitchen). It seemed to save abt $75 per mo. I was very surprised.

LastMohican said...

We have a gas fireplace in living room and one in bedroom. Keeps the house pretty toasty without having to run the heat pump.

ker21801 said...

loving my woodstove burned about 3 cords so far...