Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Secrets That I Hold Within

I had a little spare time this morning before my day gets crazy to publish a little something I think all of you should know.

After spending almost 7 years operating Salisbury News, I have come to meet so many incredible people who do things for this community that many of you are not aware of.

To sit back and honor their requests not to be recognized is actually quite a task. One of the main reasons I say so is, we want to deliver positive information to uplift everyone we can. But a promise is a promise and I always honor my word.

That being said, I want you to know that over the past several days I know of many individuals and businesses that have been running to the stores buying Christmas Presents. They have been buying groceries and multiple family meals for those in need.

While each and every one of these people choose not to be recognized, I just want our readers to know that a LOT has been done to make very sure no child wakes up Christmas morning without presents under the tree. No Family, (that I'm aware of) will go without a meal this Christmas.

Between "Together we can" and "Paying it Forward" this community has done more than you'll ever know. I hold secrets that would absolutely bring tears to your eyes. I'll share one with you, (without names) that I thought was really cool. A few days ago one very successful gentleman saw a friend of mine ringing the bell for the Salvation Army. They walked up to them, opened their wallet and folded up a $100.00 bill and thanked my friend for standing in the cold to give back and placed it in the bucket. It wasn't an hour later his Brother showed up and pulled up to the curb. He got out, said hello to this friend and said, my Brother just called me and told me you were out here ringing the bell. He opened his wallet, pulled out another $100.00 bill and said, if he can do it, so can I.

WBOC raised a ton of money for their "Bless our Children" campaign. Let's not forget ALL of their support, (as well as WMDT) with the Salvation Army. This money isn't just about delivering presents at Christmas. This is their biggest campaign throughout the year to help support those in need throughout the year.

Salisbury News advertisers know exactly what we do with their advertising dollars and they are all proud to be a part of giving back to their community. In fact, we welcome each and every advertiser to join us this evening from 5 to 7 to help hand out turkeys and other food for those Families who are in need this Christmas.

Together we have all made a difference. A small amount of change to $100.00 bills, many will not go without thanks to each and every one of you. So on a personal note I want to thank all of you for truly making this the best Christmas I have ever experienced in my lifetime.

Merry Christmas To One And All.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for everyone's efforts. you will be blessed.....

Joseph Albero said...

To the commenters who keep sending in nasty comments to this post. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Anonymous said...

and happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that Good News Joe! It's Wonderful to know this goes on more then the average person is aware.

Although I & others may not always agree with the postings on this site----there are the Good Things you do for this Community that keeps Me and Those Many others coming to your site each day!!

Have a Blessed Christmas!! E.Walls

Lisa DR said...

Simply put:

"So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
~Matthew 6:2-4

How wonderful it must be to witness the good deeds of others in such a way! Consider it a gift that you have earned the trust of so many, and value that gift for all it represents. Thank you for honoring the wishes of those who choose to give as privately as they can. Merry Christmas to you and yours!